Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build - trying to arrange broadband for completion

andyeff
Dabbler

New Build - trying to arrange broadband for completion

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to organise internet connectivity at a new build, scheduled to be completed for end of November.
The developer has informed me that between themselves and Openreach, all properties have ducting / cabling completed, which I assume means a copper line installed at the premises at a connection point detailed on the plans, and all I need to do is activate the line.
The problem I seem to be running into is that Royal Mail refuse to put the properties post code onto their PAF system until the house is occupied ("Unfortunately an active postcode is only allocated to properties that are occupied, have a delivery point (letterbox) that is accessible to receive mail at all times"), which seems to be preventing me from being able to arrange anything.
The house next door has already been built and is lived in. The address of that property is showing a range of 66 - 80 mbit on the BT availability checker, so I am reasonably sure the cabinet back-end is in place and that I would also not have a problem getting service at the new house.
Is there anything I can do, or anyone I can contact, to try and arrange the necessary engineer visits for near the completion date? The developer advises the property will be accessible from 13th November should anything need to be done in the house itself, but I'm stuck with what to do now. Obviously, I'd like to get a new Plusnet connection up and running at the new house as I'm very happy with the service and want to continue, but I'm getting anxious after the new neighbours told me they had to wait about 6 weeks to get their broadband (I believe they went with BT) enabled.
7 REPLIES 7
lenny
Grafter

Re: New Build - trying to arrange broadband for completion

The 3 houses at the side of our house all use the same postcode and quite a few others in the street use the same post code  could you not use there code and your address
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMSMC a postcode covers 15 to 18 buildings, so as Lenny says you should (in theory) have the same postcode as your immediate neighbour.
andyeff
Dabbler

Yep, I do indeed have the same postcode Smiley
The problem is using the address checker, if I put in my house number - no records found.
If I put in my neighbours number and postcode - 66-80mbit FTTC expected speed.
But they have moved in, so Royal Mail have made their postcode / house number publically available to Openreach whereas my house number does not appear in any lists currently.
I did originally call BT, thinking that I had to sort out the phone line through them first, and then contact Plusnet afterwards to convert to a Plusnet phone line + broadband. BT said they relied on the Royal Mail info to do line provisioning and they could not help me, which triggered this whole mild panic thing off in the first place Sad
lenny
Grafter

When my mom moved in to her new bungalow (new to her , 5 year old and it was  not on any records for gas and electric,  but previous owner was connected to both)  she had to use the post code and plot number of the bungalow as the number for the address was not showing on any records, would this work  for you
andyeff
Dabbler

Lenny, unfortunately BT were adamant that they couldn't schedule any engineer work until the postcode stuff was in their system properly - which wouldn't be until after I've moved in
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Would you mind PMing me the address details and I'll check the ordering side of things for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
andyeff
Dabbler

Thanks Harry, have sent you a PM! Smiley
dick:quote