cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network printer/ Techincolor TG582n Fibre

BrightonRock1
Grafter

Network printer/ Techincolor TG582n Fibre

I would welcome advice. My wireless network printer regularly - say once a month - stops working. It originally happened with a HP printer, now with a Canon. The router still shows a WiFi connection for the printer when this happens, and the printer claims to be synced to the router. But the printer won't print from any of the devices on the network, regardless of whether they are on ethernet or WiFi connections; internet connections and other local network connections for the other devices connected through the router continue normally.
A search of the forum turns up occasional mentions of users having this problem with printers but no fix.
My solution is to restart the router. That suggests to me that it is a router problem. I have a work-around so this not a great issue now that I can recognise why the printer isn't working. But I do wonder why the Technicolor router loses the printer from time to time; it never seems to lose anything else on the network.
I am open to offers as to whether there is anything that can be done to avoid the problem; I have tried fixing the address for the printer but that isn't the solution. Perhaps a better question is what I might look for in user accessible information in the router when the problem arises to help identify the underlying issue.
The router is running software release 10.2.5.2.FO
6 REPLIES 6
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Network printer/ Techincolor TG582n Fibre

Are you sure you're blaming the right device?
I have the same issue with my Epson wireless printer not responding after it's been inactive for a day or so.
This happens whether I'm using a TG582n or any one of 3 or 4 different routers.
My solution is to power cycle the printer.
BrightonRock1
Grafter

Good thought. I may indeed be blaming the wrong bit of kit but it happened with a HP and now the Canon printer. Atavistic I know, but I leave my printer powered off, rather than on all the time as you report. I see the problem that I described when the printer is powered back on: it connects to the router, but then doesn't print. Power cycling the printer at that point doesn't solve the problem. But re-starting the router does bring everything back to life.
We both seems to have printers that get lost: Power cycling the printer solves the problem for you; restarting the router solves it for me. If it is the same problem affecting both of us then the conclusion is probably that wireless printers get lost from their networks from time to time and turning a bit of kit off and on again - where have I heard that before? - brings it back.
I may try your configuration of leaving the printer on and see how that works on my system. But I'm not going to get an answer for about a month..........
npr
Pro

It's not something which causes me too much hassle so I've never looked for a solution.
At one time I used a wired connection to the router, I may be mistaken but I don't remember it having this issue then, so I'm guessing it's a wifi problem here.
Have you tried a wired / homeplug connection to the printer?
BrightonRock1
Grafter

Good suggestion but (perhaps surprisingly) I don't seem to have the option with the Canon to connect with ethernet.
You are right, it is a WiFi problem at one end or the other. But, whatever is happening, one can live with it. I just wondered if I was overlooking a solution that others had already found.
npr
Pro

Is your printer wireless g only?
If so, as a test, you could try disabling wireless n in the router.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#wirelessn
Some wireless g devices don't play well with wireless n, so this may be worth a test although I doubt it would be a acceptable permanent solution.
BrightonRock1
Grafter

No, the Canon claims b/g/n.
Thanks for your input. Unless anyone else has an insight, I'll put this in the category of "it is going to go wrong every now and I'm not going to know why".  I'll continue to re-start the router every month when the printing stops; it is but a small chore!