Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear PLW 1000 Gigabit Swtich connection to PlusnetPlus One router

FIXED
crowjon
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Netgear PLW 1000 Gigabit Swtich connection to PlusnetPlus One router

Hi.  I have installed an extensive SOHO network which will connect via Netgear Gigabit Switch to and newly installed PlusNet Plus One  fibre modem/router  The router will not recognise the switch but is working perfectly otherwise.  All the CAT6 infrastructure has been fully tested and the link connections (without the switch) have been tested with working devices, PCs etc.

There are no poll/traffic LEDs lit (power is on).  I have tested the switch on another installation and it works perfectly.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this please.  PlusNet Support say they will not help and referred me to the Forum

I have a very disgruntled client so a speedy fix will be great.

Regards and thanks

21 REPLIES 21
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Netgear PLW 1000 Gigabit Swtich connection to PlusnetPlus One router

It's not something I've used, but if the Hub One does not display it, then it sounds like it's IP is out of the range of the Hubs default 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253

You should be able to log in to the switch and change it to , say, 192.168.1.200

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Is it a switch or a Powerline Adapter?

crowjon
Dabbler

Thank you for your prompt reply.This is a 16 port unmanaged gigabit switch. I have installed a Powerline setup to extend WiFi. This is directly connected to the router and worked straight off. Sorry I used a Powerline reference it should read
JGS516- 200EUSTON Prosafe 16 port gigabit switch
DS
Seasoned Champion

To confirm.....

Plusnet Hub One ---------- Netgear GS516- 200EUSTON Prosafe 16 port gigabit switch ----------- PLA   ?

Is the PLA a PLW 1000?

If you're using that hub now, do you see the switch and PLA on this page - <Click me>

If so, what is their status (connected or disconnected or not showing at all)

crowjon
Dabbler

Sorry, prefictive txt struck again. Not EUSTON it should be just GS516- 200EUS gigabit Prosafe switch. To test tge switch I have connected it via my PLAs to my own Netgear Nighthawk router with no problems. So it must be something to do with the Plusnet router settings which I am not familiar with. The link you kindly provided does not connect.
The Powerline devices are a PL1000 adapter connected to a router port and a PLW1000 WiFi device connected through the building power circuit.

Regards
DS
Seasoned Champion

(turn it back on Grin )

Ok, so it's JGS516-200EUS (or the same but the J at the beginning that I missed too?)

The Netgear equipment tends to run on a different IP address, so that's why the Plusnet Hub didn't 'see' it.

The link I gave puts you on to the correct page on the Plusnet Hub One (assuming it's on it's default IP setting?)

You need to do either of the following when it's back in the same home/office.

Power it down, power the hub down, wait a few mins, power the hub up, wait a few more mins, connect the switch to the hub and switch it on...

or

Power everything up, access the switch (via it's IP address - google should tell you the IP to use), change it's address to 192.168.1.200, connect via ethernet to the hub.

phew

any joy?

crowjon
Dabbler

Hi DS My client has had to go away on business for a few days so can't access the router until the weekend. So to be clear I should power down the router, connect the switch, power up the router then power up the switch? I am responding via my phone but will check link on my PC tomorrow. Regards and many thanks, Jon
DS
Seasoned Champion

Yes, that should work.

From memory, the netgear switch 'waits' to see if it's allocated an IP address from the router, but after a time (can't remember) it defaults to 192.168.0.xx and Plusnet/BT routers default to 192.168.1.xx

They will work, but as I pointed out, 'it' won't be seen...

grahamw
Hooked

Hi folks, I think this is going in the wrong direction. Unmanaged switches don't need an ip address, they are fully automatic. You just plug them in and away they go. I am anetwork engineer and I would guess your cable has gone faulty or has an intermittant fault. The easyest way to test is to try a different cable. Or at least plug it into a different port at both ends.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for that grahamw Smiley

So, if the switch is switched on and sits there for a long time, it just keeps waiting?

(I do remember reading about a switch (though I can't remember if it was managed or unmanaged) and after a short time it picked it's manufacturers default of 192.168.0.63 ? (might be wrong on that address, but it's one that comes to mind)

grahamw
Hooked

Yes the switch will sit there indefinitely wating to see if a signal appears on a port. Once it spots it it will automatically negotiate the polarity and the speed. Give it about 10 seconds to do this the lights will come up as soon as it has identified the parameters.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks again Smiley

crowjon could have done with your input at about 3:56pm Cheesy

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

You say the linklights are not lighting.

If you power up the switch and the rest of the network with the router disconnected do the linklights come on?

If not, then it's not a problem with the router.

If they do come on, then do they go off if you plug in the Ethernet cable from the router?

Does it make a difference if the router is

a) powered up

b) plugged into the mains but switched off

c) unplugged from the mains

If c) works but a) and b) don't, I would try a different mains socket for the router and the switch

grahamw
Hooked

No probs, only just joined the forum. My PN service has not yet even been provided.

Just had a look at the data sheets for the Netgear switch. It doesn't have an ip address. Just plug and play.