Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear D7000 Setup Question

FIXED
SFraser
Hooked

Netgear D7000 Setup Question

I have been on Plusnet Fibre for some years and have been using our Netgear D7000 for some years but last night something happened.... and now although I can get in on the older Plusnet supplied router I can't on the Netgear one.  Support have mentioned that it was being rejected due to the password being changed (over 3 weeks ago and we've been using it since) so we thought all we'd have to do is reset the password on the Netgear and that would be us.  Oh no!  I am going to explain our setup and the settings on our Netgear, plus what we've done, in the hope someone can identify an incorrect setting.  I have tried the setting on a previous thread on this forum but they didn't work either.

We have fibre to the cabinet and then the old wiring from the cabinet to our house, ie the fibre doesn't come directly into our house.

We have factory reset the Netgear D7000 but it still doesn't work

Settings on the D7000:

ISP: Plusnet

Transfer mode: ADSL (ATM)

DSL Mode: Auto

Internet has been selected from the dropdown

Enable this interface is ticked

Multi-plexing Method: VC-Based

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Use VLADID not ticked

Priority: 0

Does your internet connection require a login: Yes is selected

Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet

Username and password - our Plusnet username and password (ie the same as we use to log onto the member centre)

Service Name is blank

Connection Mode always on

Internet IP address: get Dynamically from ISP is selected

Domain Name SErver (DNS) address: get automatically from ISP is selected

If anyone can help that would be great, and if you need me to check any further settings please don't hesitate to tell me what you need.

Many thanks

14 REPLIES 14
SFraser
Hooked

Re: Netgear D7000 Setup Question

Sorry, I should also say, on one of the other forums I saw it mentioned that Netgear D7000 doesn't like certain characters so we have changed our password again, to make it just letters and numbers. But that made no difference either - we still can't access the internet using the D7000.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You have posted this in the Fibre Broadband section, but are trying to set up on ADSL.

If you are on Fibre you should be chosing VDSL, which will then alter some of the other settings.

SFraser
Hooked

Thanks Mustrum. I'll try changing it to VDSL and hope it changes the other settings.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You can find the FTTC settings here.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SFraser
Hooked

Hi Strat and Mustrum

I've now tried both your suggestions and I'm afraid have not got too much further, so my hope is that I'm still missing a setting that has somehow got changed.

My settings are now:

UK

Plusnet

VDSL (PTM)

VDSL2

Internet is selected

Enable this interface is ticked

Use VLANID is ticked

Priority 0

Does your internet require a logon: Yes is selected

Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) is selected

login - my username@plusdsl.net

password is the same as to access member centre

Service name is blank

Always on

Internet IP address - get dynamically from ISP

DNS - get automatically from ISP

NAT translation Enable is selected

Router MAC use default address is selected

I'm hoping it's just one of these settings that still needs to be tweeked - so if anyone has any suggestions I'm be really grateful.

Many thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Those are the settings I have on my D7000 - other than my own username and password, I am in a fibre service.

Its possible your router is faulty, but you should get some more clues but going to admin, then logs. You may want to untick some of the options just to make it easier to read - maybe even just tick Router Operations.

SFraser
Hooked

Thanks Mustrum and Strat for all your help.  Unfortunately, the logs didn't tell me much.  I think I'm going to have to accept the inevitable - that we are going to have to buy another.

Thanks for your help, it was much appreciated.

rbz5416
Grafter

I'm currently using a D7000 & the last posted settings are correct. I will try to help but some clarification first:

When you changed the password 3 weeks ago, do you mean your PN online account password?

If so, did you also change the password on the D7000 at the same time?

When you say you can connect with the old router, is that after changing the password or as it was?

When "something happened", what exactly? You lost connection or something else?

I'm guessing that as you say that you've had the router a few years that it's the V1 with the red WAN socket? How are you physically connected? Directly to the phone socket via the vDSL port on the router or are you using a separate Openreach "modem"?

SFraser
Hooked

Hi
Yes it was the pn password. No we didnt change on router, but did change it yesterday.
When we access on the old router it's with the new pn password.
Don't know what happened the other night but we lost connection. That's when we realised that it was still the old pn password. But, all the other settings seemed to have changed and we haven't been able to get on since.
Yes, we have the BT openreach modem and the D7000 is plugged into that. Sorry, not near the D7000 atm but from memory yes I think it is red.

Hope this answers your questions?

Many thanks.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Fix

You don't need an openreach modem with a D7000 - it has a built in modem. 

Try plugging it directly into the Master Socket, using the DSL cable and the setting you showed yesterday.

rbz5416
Grafter

So likely either the line dropped or the D7000 reset. Up to that point you were still authenticated by the last logon despite the password change. When whatever happened happened, you needed the new password.

You seem to have initially tried connecting with ADSL rather than vDSL settings so the D7000 may be confused.

It may also be that the Openreach modem has an address from the old router when you connected that. So a power cycle of the modem may help as well as making sure that it's connected to the red port on the D7000.

But as above, the D7000 has it's own modem so you can dispense with the Openreach one. I'd be inclined to simply unplug the RJ11 phone cable from the modem & plug it straight into the D7000. Then reset it again. It seems to take quite a long time to perform a reset so make sure that's complete before trying again.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @SFraser I'm seeing an active connection now this side, are you using our router or have you managed to get the netgear working?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SFraser
Hooked

Hi all

Thanks very much for helping me get back up and running again with the D7000 - it lives to see another day Grin.  Now, I just have to decide what I'm going to do with the router that I ordered yesterday Cheesy.

Many thanks again.

jojohnsonhill

We to have a netgear router which i did a factory rest on it, i may be back for some help as i could not get it to work, I am not a computer expert