Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear D6400

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Netgear D6400

Hi Guys
Just to let you all know that my new Netgear D6400 for VDSL2 wireless router is working well with Plusnet VDSL2 with G.INP also enabled and support it. Still earlier day to to see if this router is more reliable and stable. I choose this over Billion 8800NL because of better gigabit lan ports, better wifi with a/c with Beamforming+. But these are very expensive thought cost £149.99.
The VDSL2 setting was so easy, just select UK and select isp: Plusnet with username / password and it all done!
Stats recorded 01 May 2015 13:13:40
DSLAM/MSAN type:         BDCM:0xa44f / v0xa44f
Modem/router firmware:   AnnexA version - A2pv6F039j.d25d
DSL mode:               VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                
Resyncs:                 0 (since 01 May 2015 11:13:38)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):   11.1 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 79999 20000
SNR margin (dB):         11.6 15.7
Power (dBm):             12.4 1.0
Interleave depth:       16 8
INP:                     46.00 47.00
G.INP:                   Enabled

The Netgear D6400 has 4 x gigabit lan ports plus 1 x gigabit wan port. The wifi a/c also including 2.4GHz up to 300Mbps and 5GHz up to 1300Mbps. This router is also support DSLstats v5.4 but must enabled debug mode (telnet)
Speedtest result:
Ethernet: 74.78Mb/18.43Mb Ping 10ms
Wifi 2.4GHz: 74.12Mb/18.07Mb Ping 11ms
Wifi 5GHz: 74.56Mb/18.57Mb Ping 10ms
Link here for new Netgear D6400: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/d6400.aspx
6 REPLIES 6
the_norris
Grafter

Re: Netgear D6400

Hi
Just brought one of these today.  Will be later to day before I get around to setting it up. 
Was looking at the Billion one too - but went for the Netgear - need the VPN which allows VPN uses to use the internet connection.  Great to secure connection on open wifi while travelling. Smiley
Phil
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I always used Netgear in my ADSL days, and they never let me down.  Getting a "should've gone to......." moment with my ASUSDSL-AC68U, Some wonderful features, but I usually put reliability at the top of any list, and get the feeling I didn't when choosing my modem-router. We live and learn. I'd have been happy with the supplied setup but felt performance wasn't there. I've come to realise that FTTC performance in the sticks isn't as steady perhaps as in town anyway. we get a share of powercuts here that in town don't happen.
Last week I travelled a road in town, and in the distance I am from my cabinet, there were four in town! nobody could be more than 200 metres from one in town, out here, I'm 800, and some will be much further than that. Not really the same beast is it.
darknet

@goldenfibre: I've got the D6400 today and I cannot get it working for love nor money with Plusnet fibre. Each time the wizard that the Netgear runs me through states that either my username or password is incorrect. However, they are definitely correct as they were the ones I was using with my old Netgear router. That older router was not VDSL capable hence, when I got the fibre upgrade at the weekend, I got the new Netgear D6400. It has been, without exaggeration, driving me insane. Plusnet won't offer any help, which I understand but I jut had to replace their Tonka toy router as the throughput on it was woeful and it didn't offer me the granular features I am used to. Please can you help me?
I have factory reset the modem several times to no avail.
Here is my setup:
BT Openreach fibre modem.
Internet port on Netgear connected to LAN1 port on the rear of the Openreach modem.
Power, DSL and LAN1 lights all steady green on the Openreach modem.
On the Netgear the power light is steady green, DSL light is out completely, Internet light is steady orange, WiFi is steady blue and USB light is out completely as I have nothing attached.
I go to 192.168.0.1 on a laptop connected to Ethernet Port #1 on the Netgear. I go through the wizard and enter UK as my country, PlusNet as my provider followed by my username and password. After about two minutes of trying it then fails and tells me my username or password was incorrect. This is not true. I have had Plusnet double check the details and I have also copied directly from the Connection Details area of my account. Still no dice. Honestly, this should be super-easy but is driving me insane.
Any help or guidance you can offer would be very much appreciated.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You need to plug the DSL port on the 6400 into the line instead of the BT modem.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@darknet Welcome
With the Netgear D6400 being an all in one ie both Modem and router and the fact your still using the open reach modem you did put the Netgear in bridge mode to make it just a router Right ?
if not that's what you need to do if you plan to still use the open reach modem you can't have two modems trying to connect if you just want to use the Netgear remove the open reach modem,  then connect the DSL port on the netgear to the master socket   then do the setup again , should be good to go then
ricke17
Grafter

Am considering this router - is it compatible with pn IPTV?
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000