cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear 600 ADSL Router/Wifi and Plusnet router box

CycleGuy49
Hooked

Netgear 600 ADSL Router/Wifi and Plusnet router box

I am a bit confused - I have just switched from the basic Plusnet broadband to the fibre super fast job and they have sent me the new router. But, my netgear600 ADSL router has remained plugged in and turned on. I haven't connected the new Plusnet equipment but the service is now so much faster than it was (i have notification that it has been switched over) does this mean I don't actually need that Plusnet router at all? Since it is all clearly working and very fast would that not just be duplication? Does anyone know? Thanks a lot - I am not very tekkie i'm afraid.

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Netgear 600 ADSL Router/Wifi and Plusnet router box

Two possibilities:-

1) You haven't actually been switched over yet, quite often the email saying 'your product change is complete' is sent prior to the Fibre changeover. The PlusNet profile having changed to fibre MIGHT explain a slight increase in speed.

2) your Netgear router is VDSL compatible in which case it will automatically resynch to Fibre. Which model is it and we can check ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CycleGuy49
Hooked

It says it is the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL 2+ DGND 3700v2

Can you check for me then? Cheers

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's not VDSL compatible , so that means there's just one possibility!, you haven't been switched to Fibre yet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CycleGuy49
Hooked

So will I still plug this one into the new Plusnet one as well or do I just ditch the Netgear and just use the plus net box once switch over has happened?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You use the Plusnet one instead of your Better. In fact you could use the new one now, it us both ADSL & VDSL capable and so should work now and then automatically switch when your fibre really goes active.

CycleGuy49
Hooked

Thanks very much - that's really helpful. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Dammed auto correct !!! That better should have been Netgear and I can't edit the post from my tablet!!

CycleGuy49
Hooked

I guessed as much - either that or you were Jonny Foreigner who got a case of language confusion. Thanks for your help!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem. Hope the eventual transfer to fibre goes smoothly. You may have to ask for your profile to be manually set after the fibre goes live, as in the mean time it may revert to ADSL speed