cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix throttling?

sirwiggum

Netflix throttling?

Hi, I got the fibre broadband and for the most part am happy.
Except when I try and watch Netflix programmes / movies.
Sometimes, halfway through the movie/programme, it will either stop and come back as SD, or get stuck in a buffering loop.
Are plusnet throttling netflix usage?
Last night, for example, around 10.30pm, the film I was watching went from HD to SD (after a brief pause), then got stuck at 25% buffering.
It's not exactly peak time usage either.
I appreciate that it's been a busy download month, it took me a couple of attempts to get Windows 10 downloaded and setup for example, however I do pay for unlimited fibre, so am a bit miffed that you're throttling my Netflix viewing.
2 REPLIES 2
ricke17
Grafter

Re: Netflix throttling?

How are you connecting to the internet? Wifi? Ethernet?  Are you paying for the pro addon?
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
khile
Grafter

Re: Netflix throttling?

Hi there was a routing issue last night on netflix i saw a post on Netflix twitter this seems to have been removed now.

Things that could affect streaming: Wireless connection, Other users on network, p2p and even a computer downloading windows update can have an affect on your streaming experience.
Does this happen on other sites such as Iplayer, 4OD, Demand 5 etc
Things to try:
1) Switch to wired connection if your wireless
2) when you experience buffering on netflix see if other  services are affect also (iplayer etc)
3) Stop any other network intensive programs such as p2p
If all the above dont help i would suggest opening a ticket and getting on of the tech guys to take alook as could be congestion on exchange