cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix connection error NW-2-5 (Sony smart TV)

masm50

Netflix connection error NW-2-5 (Sony smart TV)

Hi,

I have just moved into a new house with Plusnet fibre.

The speeds are very good (~70 mbps), but for some reason I cannot get my Sony Android TV to connect to Netflix.
Whenever I try and access Netflix (through the Netflix app or Netflix.com with the TV's browser), I get connection error NW-2-5, while Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, etc all work fine.

The issue is definitely the Plusnet internet as I can connect the TV to Netflix fine using my phone's WiFi hotspot - so it feels like Plusnet is blocking Netflix for some reason.

We have the Plusnet Firewall and SafeGuard set to off, but I did some Googling and saw that BT users have had this problem with BT's family filters.

I can access Netflix through Chrome on my laptop fine - this problem is specific to TV Netflix.

This problem sounds very much like the situation back in this thread from a couple of months ago:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Netflix-Connection-Test-Fails-on-2-Servers/m-p/1377072...

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Netflix connection error NW-2-5 (Sony smart TV)

If other services are working correctly via the TV I doubt Plusnet are blocking Netflix...

You've probably tried the obvious, but if not, sign out of the app on the TV and sign back in again.

If you can't remember the details, check before signing out

masm50

I can't even access the login page for Netflix on my TV through Plusnet, but yes I have both logged out and in again (via mobile hotspot) and even reset the TV to factory settings a couple of times.

It does seem weird that Plusnet would be blocking Netflix like this, but it's all I can think of - I've tried different routers and as I mentioned it works fine via mobile hotspot (through my phone's 4G).

Parental guidance locks were to blame for this on BT apparently, so I feel this may be a similar issue.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

The only other things I would try is to:

Delete the app from the TV (but check first to make sure it can be reinstalled)

Disconnect it from the router, then try another app - it will throw up an error, reconnect to router and repeat

Turn the router and TV off for 5mins or so, then turn the router on, wait another 5mins and then the TV

You could try turning the PN Safeguard ON, try again, then turn it OFF and check in the member centre -> firewall to make sure everything is unticked - even in the advanced settings section.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to go through the TV settings and make sure everything is up to date.

I do believe it's the house move that's triggered this.

masm50

Right, it looks like we have got to the bottom of this issue after much searching.

Whilst the Netflix error gave us no help, finding that SONOS was also not working gave us another avenue to explore and one of their debug links talked about MTU.

Our router had the default setting of 1500 MTU (as is standard), but it turns out that reducing this to 1464 (as recommended by SONOS) has fixed the issue. No more dropped packets and we can now use Netflix and SONOS fine.

Hopefully this helps someone else searching for a fix.

KylieSlater266X

I tried this steps and seems that doesn't work for me... the troubleshooting that i did and follow is on this website https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/netflix-error-code-nw-2-5/... by doing Solution 2. Check Network Hardware..
Solution 5. Reinstall Netflix