cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix, Disney + and Amazon Prime problems

philmace50

Netflix, Disney + and Amazon Prime problems

I have a frustrating issue with the above - every time we settle down as a family to watch something on either Netflix, Disney + or Amazon Prime, we get about 6 minutes in and it freezes. I did a speed check using Ookla and it said I was getting 50-odd mb down and 18 up which is adequate but still I get the spinning doughnut of doom. With Christmas round the corner this is extremely important I have a reliable internet so any advice and assistance would be great.

My router sits upstairs in our spare bedroom which is where my wife has her office so she uses the 5ghz bit and the 2.4ghz is used by the telly and bits. 

Help!!!

5 REPLIES 5
philmace50

Re: Netflix, Disney + and Amazon Prime problems

Would having a static IP address help?Huh

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@philmace50  Welcome to the forum.

A static IP address will not make a jot of difference. This sounds like a wireless problem.

Have you tried using a different wireless channel? You can use a sniffer app such as WiFi Analyzer on an Android phone to look at the channels in use in your area and select the least congested one. The settings are on the hubs advanced/wireless page

I only finally solved this with an Ethernet cable. I have since found that I can wirelessly stream with no buffering with a better hub.

I recommend a BT Smarthub from an auction site but I doubt that you will get one now before Christmas. The new Plusnet Hub Two has equally good performance but currently they are like hens teeth. Settings and other information relating to a Smarthub is pinned to the top of the Router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @philmace50 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues while trying to watch TV.

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues with your router getting a stable speed of around 58mbps.

I can see you've bought a static IP last night, if you turn your router off and on, this should be allocated to your connection. 

I'm also not confident that this will help, but let us know how it goes.

If you are still experiencing problems, do you just have issues with 2.4GHz or the 5GHz wireless as well? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
philmace50

I've plumbed in a wifi range extender and it seems to have improved. I didn't think I'd confirmed the purchase of the Static IP so if I've been charged for that can I have my fiver back please?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

We generally wouldn't waive the charge for a static IP but in this instance I'll be happy to as a goodwill gesture.

If you can reply to the ticket I've created on your account Here with confirmation you'd be happy with this, I'll make sure we apply a credit towards the charge you'll see on your next bill and remove the static. 

Post back once you've responded to the ticket and I'll ensure this is picked up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet