cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix Connection Test Fails on 2 Servers

TJM_UK
Hooked

Netflix Connection Test Fails on 2 Servers

I have two Samsung Televisions running the Netflix App.  Both are connected to a Wireless Access Point which is in turn hard wired Cat-5e to a Billion router very close to the master socket.

I also have a Samsung Multiroom setup.

Summary of issues:

1. The Netflix Connection test fails on (mainly) server 2 with error nw-2-5 on one of the Samsung Smart TV's (2016 model)

2. The Netflix Connection test works on the other Samsung TV (2014 model)

3. Streaming music via Spotify, Tunein or Deezer often breaks up on the Samsung multiroom system.

4. Netflix don't believe it is their issue

5. Samsung have been through standard debug (rebooting routers, testing bandwidth via connecting to TV) and they say it is quite likely an ISP (PlusNet) issue.

6. I have swapped routers and router locations and the issue is not resolved.

My broadband speed according to www.speedtest.net is around 63Mbps so I don't see it as that.  At the television with a laptop the speed is around 35Mbps.  I understand for Netflix HD around 6-10Mbps is required

7. Samsung say at the TV broadband speed fluctuates widely between 18.5 and 25 Mbps which they think is an issue.

8. Looking on many forums other people are seeing similar issues.  Netflix does stream but very occasionally cannot find a title.  BBC iPlayer appears to work fine.

I wonder if there is a setting that PlusNet (or OpenReach) can set that gives a more bandwidth stable connection (admittedly at the expense of throughput).?    It seems strange that Samsung say there is a wide bandwidth fluctuation and music streaming is also affected.

Are there tests that can be done to show bandwidth variation over a period?

17 REPLIES 17
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Netflix Connection Test Fails on 2 Servers

Does the same speed fluctuation occur with a wired connection straight to the router at the telephone socket?

TJM_UK
Hooked

It will take a bit longer to provide the hardwired connection as I need to plug a few 100Mbps routers and bridges together to span that length.

I did use a PowerLine connection returning 6Mbps at the TV (wired from PowerLine to TV) but the Netflix Connection Test Failed.

I also moved the router to provide a -45dB wireless signal (strong) near the TV but the Netflix Connection test failed again on server 2.

I have tried PLUSNET assigned DNS and also Googles 8.8.8.8.

Interestingly last night BBC iPlayer froze twice watching content and exiting out of iPlayer and restarting was the only way we could continue watching.

On some forums some people are saying BT's family security can impact this but as far as I am aware our content filtering on PLUSNET is turned off.

This issue can surely only lie in 1 of 3 places:

1. Wireless connection (once I get a full cable signal I can verify).  This could include signal strength or faulty Wireless Card I guess.

2. Netflix App issues on the 2016 TV release

3. PlusNet routing/port issue/streaming consistency issue?

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Try connecting your laptop straight to the router with an ethernet cable and do a speed test. If that's good, work back. It may be that you have airborne interference affecting your WiFi connections.

TJM_UK
Hooked

I'm back at the router, small cable between laptop and PC.  Using www.broadband.co.uk which has a meter showing actual speed fluctuation throughout the test the range of speed on the downlink to me varies quite a lot (5Mbps to 88Mbps).  Since my maximum reported is around 64 the 88 is nonsense.

Uplink seems much more stable with a range of only a few Mbps difference.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The ThinkBroadband speedtest also has a meter and gives links so you can post the results here.

TJM_UK
Hooked

My Broadband Speed Test - Avg Down: 61.4 Mbps, Avg Up: 17.1 Mbps (via @thinkbroadband) http://tbb.st/1476567026192705255

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

What that is telling us is that your line is happily capable of doing around 60-80Mbps, provided that you measure it directly with a PC with a wired (ethernet) connection to the router. It's not the line upstream of the router that's the problem. It's your WiFi setup. That tells us where to look.

TJM_UK
Hooked

I think what I'm saying is that WiFi isn't the problem for this particular issue.  This morning I ran the www.fast.com test on my laptop (which uses Netflix servers I understand) stood right next to the TV.  It returned around 58Mbps WiFi.    This is well above 25Mbps UHD and 6Mbps HD requirements of Netflix.

My theory is that the Netflix test embedded in the Smart TV app is picking up something on "Server 2" that it doesn't like.  Perhaps this is a variability of bandwidth during the test I just don't know.  Searching other forums other people have a similar issue but because there are potentially 3 parties involved (TV manufacturer, ISP, Netflix) tracking down the issue is hard.

I don't believe I have a WifI issue and in any case I've tried a 6Mbps hardwired connection to the TV and that doesn't help.

I appreciate all forum members who are trying to help with this issue though.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

I wonder if it could be firewalls? We haven't considered that. Maybe Netflix control packets are getting blocked?

You could try putting your TV device in the router's DMZ and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, you could try turning off your PlusNet firewall (you need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to take effect) and suffering the surprising amount of dross that will come down the line while you test again. Don't forget to turn it back on again afterwards, though.

TJM_UK
Hooked

Good thought on ports.  PLUSNET firewall already turned off though.  Firewall on router also turned off.

I've raised a PLUSNET support ticket.  Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it soon.

TJM_UK
Hooked

After more investigation I'm wondering if PLUSNET is applying some profiling or traffic management to Netflix Servers.  Interestingly the NETFLIX test available at www.fast.com gives a maximum of 33Mbps.  Running a test from www.thinkbroadband.com or even speedtest.btwholesale.com immediately afterwards gives around 64Mbps.

I also found a little known Netflix clip that when played gives a bitrate of 5800kbps (around 6Mbps) at a resolution of 1920x1080 which should be enough for HD.

Awaiting PLUSNET investigation and will post back any resolution information.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Just for info here's what I see at the moment from my laptop :

fast.com wired 64M
fast.com wireless a/c 20M
speedtest.net wired 74M
speedtest.net wireless a/c 60M

masm50

Did you ever get this sorted? I am facing the exact same issue with Netflix on a smart TV.

TJM_UK
Hooked

I am afraid it is not resolved.  I seem to get bounced between Netflix and Samsung.  I ended up cancelling Netflix even though it may not be their fault.  I have no idea and am quite fed up with the whole thing.