cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbours speed 89% faster and on the same cabinet!

malkpm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Neighbours speed 89% faster and on the same cabinet!

Apologies for raising this again but, it does get frustrating with streaming tv is buffering. Makes programmes unwatchable some times.

My neighbour opposite ( provider Sky) are on the same cabinet. We are both on FTTC.

BT wholesale shows 8.3 for myself and 15.7 for my neighbours. Why are they receiving a speed which is an 89% increase?

I could perhaps understand a slight difference but, when connected to the same cabinet!!!

Will you on my behalf ask Openreach (who are your supplier) to explain why?

Thanks and good luck 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
malkpm
Rising Star

Re: Neighbours speed 89% faster and on the same cabinet!

I have just checked my immediate neighbours speed on BT Wholesale . It is 98% faster!

Is the checker inaccurate?

My peedMy peedImmediate neighbourImmediate neighbourNeighbour oppositeNeighbour opposite

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Are you checking the estimates by address or telephone number? I think if you use a telephone number, the checker now shows the actual current observed speed.

Do those neighbours currently have FTTC? If not, it could be that your own estimate has been revised based on the actual performance of your line, while the neighbours estimates haven't.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

You say that your neighbours’ speed is 89% higher but is it? Have you actually been around and tested it or is this just an assumption based on the DSL checker results?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

malkpm
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked my immediate neighbours by phone no. 

malkpm
Rising Star

Thanks Baldrick1. 

No I have not checked direct.

I thought the DSL checker would be more accurate as it cuts out home connections etc.

Are you saying that the DSL checker is so inaccurate?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It gives speed estimates which are mainly for sales purposes. Only recently does it show the actual observed speeds, although that section was blank in the images you posted.

malkpm
Rising Star

I have just checked my neighbours speed. Unfortunately they are not FTTC . Their speed is under 2mb but this suits them.

My opposite neighbour is on Sky so the DSL check doesn't work although but have checked their speed at 13.2 .  

So, am I flogging a dead horse?

How can the figures be so different? I understand that the DSL checker is to give a buyer an expected speed. It would appear that its not working correctly.

I know this isn't Plusnets fault but, can someone ask BT wholesale / Openreach as to why the figures are so different? 

Between myself and my neighbours there is nearly a 100% difference. 

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Have you confirmed that you and your neighbours are actually connected to the same cabinet? The A DSL checker gives this information..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

malkpm
Rising Star

Baldrick1
Thanks for looking.
I confirm that all are connected to the same cabinet.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

It's worth noting that what you see on DSL Checker are just estimates and aren't always 100% accurate. If your neighbour's speeds are indeed higher it's possible that the path their line takes to the cabinet is different, or the pair quality is better.

In my opinion a good way to find out whether their speeds are in fact higher or not would be to go round to their house and ask them. If they are higher and if they can ask their provider* to find out from Openreach what route their line takes, we could try comparing it with yours, though either way there's little we can do to change the route if that is the case.

*If their provider is Plusnet can you PM me their full address please?

Also, I think I recall mentioning on your previous thread a while back that the only avenue into Openreach we have regarding fibre enquiries is to fill out a pro-forma here which I've done and I believe you've done too, the outcome that we were simply advised that there are no plans to supply you with faster FTTC speeds or provide you with FTTP. Sad

The suggestion made was to look at a Community Partnership, though this isn't something that we as a service provider can become involved in I'm afraid.

Hope this helps though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet