cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to check my possible line speed now that FTTC has just recently been established

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Need to check my possible line speed now that FTTC has just recently been established

At the moment I am on ADSL Max and I'm planning to move to a package that uses FTTC. Due to the issues with the line checker on selecting a package and how most exchange checkers appear to still need updating I would like to ask if someone from Plusnet can run a proper test to see the estimated bandwidth on the new established FTTC for sure. I'm 1.84km from the cabinet and my current ADSL1 bandwidth is 6.5mbps.

5 REPLIES 5
ExtremeZero
Grafter

Re: Need to check my possible line speed now that FTTC has just recently been established

I do have a question though if my bandwidth in both upload/download isn't even past 40/10 mbps as I don't see how a line that is less 1.84km from the cabinet and is getting around 6.5 Mb in sync speed on ADSL is correct.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Need to check my possible line speed now that FTTC has just recently been established

ADSL speeds mainly depend on the length of cabling between you and the exchange (between you and the cabinet plus the cabinet to the exchange).

FTTC speeds depend on only the distance between you and the cabinet. The BTWholesale Broadband Availability Checker should be as good as anything an ISP can check for you. At 1.8km from the cabinet, your FTTC speed is very likely to be pretty poor, possibly even not much better than the ADSL from the exchange.

Looking at one of your previous threads, the cabinet is right outside the exchange, and the 1.84km distance was as the crow flies (in a straight line), the actual length of cable tends to be longer, depending on the exact route it takes.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

So I guess I'm going to have to take the normal unlimited fiber package from the looks of it instead of the extra one.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 22.6 16.1 1.2 0.8 -- Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 15.1 5.2 1.2 0.6 --

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

With those estimates Plusnet wouldn't give you the option for Fibre extra you have to have a download over 40Mb to be given that option so yes fibre unlimited 40/2 would be your only fibre choice.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid we have no other way of checking potential speeds on Fibre other than the dslchecker you've already used.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.