Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with awful Fibre connection!

Stevef1
Grafter

Need help with awful Fibre connection!

Hi,

My connection has been ghastly for several months now and nothing I've tried will seem to fix it. 

I did ask Plusnet to check it a while back and they said it might be a line issue, then I contacted BT and was told I could be charged £120 for the call out, which I simply cannot afford.. So I just struggled on with it, but its got worse recently.

I am supposed to be on a Fibre connection yet I cannot even facetime my family without the image breaking up and the connection stopping a few secs into the call, I also tried to play Snooker online with my dad (PS4's) and we can barely play a single game without the connection breaking up and me dropping out.

So.. I cannot continue with this as its driving me crazy, also I'm contracted with PlusNet for the next 6-7 months I believe, so leaving is not an option.

So..  I am now going to buy a new router and hope it fixes the issue, my question:-   What router do you recommend, which works with plusnet and has a RELIABLE wifi (talking short range, 1 room - 20ft distance)

I will buy a router if you guys suggest one, but money is very tight so I'm looking for as cheap as possible, ideally under £60

21 REPLIES 21
Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Need help with awful Fibre connection!

How you looked at the 2 stickies at the top of this forum?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Speed-Faults/td-p/1270253

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Fault-Guides/td-p/1156188

and done the test they suggest? (Plug into the test port and see if the fault goes away (roflmao))

I would raise a fault with Plusnet & accept the charge (now £65 if it is your fault), as either charge is less than a good VDSL2 router & if the fault is BT Openreach then you will not be charged!

Stevef1
Grafter

Thanks and yeah I've done that and taken the faceplate off the phone socket and tried the master socket, no different.

£65 is still sadly too much, I'm on a very very tight budget but thanks for your help!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you done the basics, plug a phone into the test socket if you have one, with a corded phone do the quiet line test - there are lots of descriptions on how to do this, but this one seems comprehensive.

If you get any noise this will impact your broadband, and you will need to get your phone provider to sort that fault first. If you have done this it will prove that the fault is not caused by your internal wiring or equipment and therefore should not get charged.

Have a look over on the Help section and do the basic checks, start with the phone, and move to Broadband if the phone side is clear.

Stevef1
Grafter

Thanks, I've tried most things suggested.  So any recommendation for a better router?

also, plusnet stuff, if you read this could you check my stats and see if there's any issues please?

This is driving me ape Sad

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Stevef1 wrote:

Thanks, I've tried most things suggested.  So any recommendation for a better router?

Why are you willing to spend money on a better router if for roughly the same amount of money you can get an engineer out to fix a fault? If you've carried out all the diagnostic steps mentioned the chances are fairly low you'll be charged anyway. That's mostly why those steps exist.

Choice 1: Spend about £70 on a router and achieve nothing because your line is faulty.

Choice 2: Risk £65 getting an engineer out. Engineer fixes fault, you don't get charged a bean.

Generally speaking a router is a router is a router. You sometimes get a few Mb/s difference on connection speeds and perhaps a slightly improvement in stability but VDSL is an internationally agreed standard and there's only a few chipset manufacturers and most modems use one of two (Broadcom or Huawei). It's unlikely that what you're experiencing is caused by the router.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Stevef1 wrote:

Hi,

My connection has been ghastly for several months now and nothing I've tried will seem to fix it. 

I did ask Plusnet to check it a while back and they said it might be a line issue, then I contacted BT and was told I could be charged £120 for the call out, which I simply cannot afford.. So I just struggled on with it, but its got worse recently. (snipped) I cannot even facetime my family without the image breaking up and the connection stopping a few secs into the call, I also tried to play Snooker online with my dad (PS4's) and we can barely play a single game without the connection breaking up and me dropping out.

(my bold)

Is this over Ethernet or WiFi?

Not withstanding the fact you may have a connection issue, I wouldn't expect the image breaking up when the connection dropped, surely it would just stop dead....?

Stevef1
Grafter

Both but obviously the facetime thing is wifi.

anyway, I just borrowed a router from a mate, set it up and it's no better.  I'm on a fibre connection (supposedly) and I can't even facetime my mother without the image freezing 3-12 seconds in. 

So obviously there is no point me buying a new router, I think the only thing I can do is take the hit of leaving my contract early and move isp.  I can put up with some issues but this is just unbearable right now.  I'll email plusnet and see how much it'll cost to quit.

Thanks for your help though.

Stevef1
Grafter

trash.pngtrash2.png

NOT Acceptable!!   considering I pay for FibrePLUS!!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry that you're having problems with your connection. Looking over your account I can't see that any issues have been reported to us since March last year.

Testing your line isn't showing any obvious problems, the router is connected to the cabinet at the speeds we'd expect it to be (40/2), so the issue is with the throughput of the connection.

Can you run a BT Speedtest for me using a wired connection, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I totally understand the frustration.

Was your mates router supplied from Plusnet too?

Were those speed tests completed over Ethernet?

the BTw speedtester should have had a further test button, which gives 2 bars. Looking at the result you also should have been able to carry out a further test (your BB username would need to be changed)

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Chris wrote:
Testing your line isn't showing any obvious problems, the router is connected to the cabinet at the speeds we'd expect it to be (40/2), so the issue is with the throughput of the connection.

Have you seen this  or any of the other similar threads? Have you got stuff synching on line, iCloud/dropbox/Onedrive ?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There aren't a significant number of disconnections, it doesn't look anything like that issue TBH

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Stevef1
Grafter

Got this today, speed looks normal but it said there was an error, however it didn't give any more info on it, is there any way of seeing what error it was?

error.png

Just got this now.. connection is all over the place constantly good/ghastly :(Just got this now.. connection is all over the place constantly good/ghastly Sad

Stevef1
Grafter

Just been chatting with plusnet and my contract runs out in 4 months time, I cannot afford to pay a 'fee' to break the contract so I'll just struggle along as I have been doing but I'll migrate to another isp in 4 months.