Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Broadband speed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Need help with Broadband speed

I am sorry to see that our faults team were not in touch yesterday.

I've checked your fault report and I can see our suppliers have completed testing of your service and have identified no fault. The next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate this. I'll reply to your ticket shortly.

If you let me know on here once you've replied I can get the fault progressed for you.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
morsoft
Grafter

Hello Anoush. Thanks for the update. I have just tried replying to the ticket but it seems to be doing something strange - the text is underlined indicating a link which when clicked on tries to download the file I attached to the message. I'll repeat it here.

As you will see from my initial posting on the forum I have tried different modems - the supplied BT modem and the W9980 modem/router. I have also now tried a 3rd router connected to the BT modem with the same results. I have tested on the test socket and the normal faceplate socket.

The only positive at the moment is that the dropouts seemed to have gone.

I am bemused that you initially identified a fault and now you are saying that the tests indicate no fault! Surely the fact that we are now only getting 15mbps/0,6mbps is an indication that something is wrong when we initially were getting 32mbps download which as I said reduced over the months to a settled 26mbps until just over a week ago. I have just done another BT Wholesale test and the speed is down to 14mbps. I have attached the stats from the W9980 router which are no longer showing the large number of download errors that they were last night (please see file posted on the forum). Is it possible that the line is now ok and that the profile needs to be cranked up from the 15.28mbps that is now shown on the BT test?

The 3 timeslots you asked for could be Mon 8th May am or pm and Tue 9th May am.

Regards

Mal

morsoft
Grafter

Hi

Just done another BT test and the speed is now down to 11mbps. Something is obviously badly wrong.

Regards

Mal

morsoft
Grafter

I spoke too soon. Just had another dropout!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@morsoft - I have been a victim of this type of intermittent fault myself, on fibre, and it has taken several visits to what appears to have resolved the the issue. I would have suggested that you ensure that you are running the latest firmware on your router / modem but as you have tried 3 others then that would be redundant.

If you are confident about your own wiring / installation then I would arrange to get the engineer out, they may be lucky on the day and find something, but if they never come you’ll never get a resolution to it.

morsoft
Grafter

Hi

We have just returned from our local pub which is about 300 yards away and have tested their internet speeds. Download is 46.41mbps and upload is 11.65mbps. I have tested our connection again and the download speed is 14.89mbps and upload is 0.28mbps. Needless to say we are very annoyed especially since we have never had better than 0.8mbps upload speed. Something is very obviously wrong. Also during the short time we have been back we have had another dropout. I have sent you 3 timeslots for an engineer's visit as requested but have yet to hear back from you. 

Regards

Mal

morsoft
Grafter

@Anonymous Thanks for the reply. I have requested an engineer but have yet to hear back from Plusnet!

Regards

Mal

Anonymous
Not applicable

300 yards is a longish way but I wouldn’t expect a degradation of service like that. Also it doesn’t necessarily mean that your cable follows on from theirs or vice versa. I have a cable run of 487m from socket to exchange as measured by BT OR, but even I don’t get the synch speeds I used to get. When first installed they were both syncing at 79999 / 19999 now they’re 66997/19720 and 77737/19999 Kbps and as they both work I have to live with it when I know things could be better.

Post back when the Engineer's been, it will be interesting to hear what s/he had to say.

morsoft
Grafter

@Anonymous Thanks for the reply. The pub and ourselves live on a small lane which has a single cable from the cabinet so the degradation will only be over that 300yds. When the engineer first connected us for a few days we were getting 36mbps but that reduced to 32mbps and then as I said it slowly dropped to a steady 26mbps which was perfectly acceptable for tv usage. The upload speed is meant to be capped at 2mbps but the most we have ever achieved is 0.8 Mbps. I have just spoken to Plusnet on the phone and they agree that the speed is now way below the contracted guaranteed speed. An engineer is booked for Monday morning so I will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Regards

Mal

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Mal.

Let us know how the appointment goes on Monday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
morsoft
Grafter

@Gandalf Will do.

Regards

Mal

morsoft
Grafter

Download speed this morning down to 11.56mbps and upload 0.39mbps with plenty of dropouts. 

morsoft
Grafter

Download speed now down to 8.68mbps. IP Profile has been reduced to 12.09 so the BT Test shows that everything is normal because the speed is within the acceptable range of 8.46-12.09!! This is very annoying. The dropouts are happening regularly now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As inconvenient as this is this couldn't have happened at a better time, as I see it. With the line faulting the way it is now then there should be some tangible evidence for the BTOR engineer visit on Monday.

morsoft
Grafter

@Anonymous Yes, you're certainly right. As long as I get a reasonable engineer. We have had a mixed bunch over the years.