cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Broadband speed

morsoft
Grafter

Need help with Broadband speed

Hi. When I first had FTTC installed I was receiving download speeds of 32mbps but over time it dropped to around 26mbps and remained at that speed. Over the last week I have experienced many dropouts and the speed has reduced to barely 18mbps. I have tried various options of router (Original BT modem/Plusnet Router, TP-Link w9980 modem/router and BT modem/W9980 router) with no improvement. Today for the first time for a week the connection is at least stable but the speeds are low. Needless to say that my Youview watching and recording has been chaotic with hardly any completed recordings because of the dropouts. I would welcome some help please.

Regards Mal

74 REPLIES 74
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Need help with Broadband speed

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are having connection problems.

I've tested your line and I'm detecting a possible external fault which I've now raised with our broadband suppliers. We expect to receive an update within the next 72 hours. Our Faults team will endeavour to keep you updated.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
morsoft
Grafter

Hi. Many thanks for the swift reply. Look forward to a resolution.

Regards

Mal

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just following up on this for you Mal. It looks like an engineer has investigated your fault yesterday and identified no fault with the service. One of my colleagues from our faults team should be contacting you shortly with more of an update.

If you haven't already I'd advise to try testing your speed with your modem/router plugged into your test socket, as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
morsoft
Grafter

Hi Anoush. Thanks for the update but that doesn't make any sense. We have had several dropouts since yesterday and I've just tested the speed and it is now down to 16mbps which is half that we started with when we first had FTTC and an upload speed of 0.5mbps. You must have found some fault yesterday to have flagged further investigation. As I said yesterday the dropouts make it impossible to record Internet based Youview programs. I've just looked at Samknows for this number and these are the FTTC figures shown for this number

BT FTTC broadband availability

You are connected to the Stalham telephone exchange.

• FTTC is available in your area

Downstream Min: 25 Mbps
Downstream Max: 32.9 Mbps
Upstream Min: 5 Mbps
Upstream Max: 7 Mbps

Further to your suggestion to test the connection speed by connecting the modem to the master socket, it is already connected to the master socket (Openreach Mk3 socket).

This really is not good enough. I welcome an early response.

Regards

Mal

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mal.

My tests identified an external fault, I raised this with our suppliers.

An engineer was assigned yesterday and advised us they could not detect a fault with the service. My update wasn't to say there is no fault, I'm seeing the drops you're experiencing as well as your speed is sitting pretty low.

It's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer appointment to further progress the fault, but to rule out any internal wiring issues we'd like to try connecting your router to your test socket if you can.

Currently we aren't in a position to book an appointment or provide another update, because our suppliers are running diagnostic tests, but once this has been completed our faults team will contact you with more information.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
morsoft
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I misunderstood your last posting but looking at the engineers note it implies that everything is OK! As I said in my original posting we were getting consistent speeds of around 26mbps with no dropouts but over the last week it has been awful. The upload speed has never been better than 0.8mbps which always seemed very low but is now around 0.5mbps!! The BT modem is connected to the only possible socket on the Openreach Mk3 box. Behind the faceplate there is merely a phone socket.

Regards

Mal

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You remove the Openreach MK3 faceplate to reveal the test socket. Then connect a DSL microfilter to the test socket to plug-in a phone and the modem.

morsoft
Grafter

Thanks. Have done as suggested and the speeds are 16mbps download and 0.6mbps upload. Ping latency is 39.25. In other words no difference.

Thanks.

Mal

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Also how are you testing, wired or WiFi?

Your W9980 has more information which may help diagnose your issue, if you connect that directly without the modem and then post your current rate and max attainable rates, along with the other stats:

morsoft
Grafter

Hi

Connection is wired direct from router to PC. I have connected the W9980 directly and have attached the stats.

Many thanks

Mal

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

They don't look good, the other thing you can do is to get an ADSL/VDSL filter and plug the router into the test socket as has been requested. Do you have any transmitting devices near the router, Dect Cordless phone/Baby Alarm or anything similar?

morsoft
Grafter

Hi. I have connected it to the test socket (please see above). No there is nothing near the router. Nothing has changed since I was getting consistent speeds of 26mbps and no dropouts.

Regards

Mal

morsoft
Grafter

Speed now down to 13mbps!!! This is truly awful.

morsoft
Grafter

IP Profile keeps getting reduced. Now shown as 16.64mbps. Please fix this problem.