cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on which router to get for gaming

adamanderson

Need advice on which router to get for gaming

Hi all,
I'm new here, and new to plusnet, have only been connected a week moved over from EE fibre.
i'm more than happy with the connection and the general speeds i'm getting for browsing and downloading etc, but i think gaming has taken a bit of a hit with the bog standard plusnet router.
i've already done some research and keep seeing the same 2 names popping up, so my question is whch one is the far more superior router for gaming;
Asus RT-AC68U or
Asus RT-N66U
or could anyone make a new suggestion Smiley
3 REPLIES 3
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Need advice on which router to get for gaming

Does anybody have any knowledge of the Asus RT-AC87U with plusnet.. I've been looking online and this model keeps popping up.
thunderer
Grafter

Two others spring to mind:
Draytek 2860 & Billion 8800NL or AXL, the latter 8800AXL has the facility to use a 3G & 4G LTE modem as a backup should your main connection go down or of course you go on holiday!
They also have the advantage of not needing the BT Modem, as they will connect up directly to the socket as they have a VDSL/ADSL+2 modem built in.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Re Draytek 2860.  I own the 2860n router and found ping times consistently 2 milliseconds faster compared to the PlusNet router + BT modem, tested by switching modems a few times and pinging BBC and Google.    I can only conclude having the modem and router contained in same unit removes some latency.
Downside to the Draytek 2860, is it's really an enterprise/business router and has many features not used for normal home internet access.  I also feel it's a little conservative on connection speed compared to BT modem (maybe 5% at most).   It's a very stable router/modem however and can handle 50,000 NAT sessions,  and has about any feature you would want.  Also Wifi on 2860n is perfectly fine and stable.
dick:quote