cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new router

Markagm
Dabbler

Need a new router

We have no internet and after being on hold to plusnet for 45 mins, they basically said after checking line etc it's a router problem and only way to know for sure would be to buy a new router and check.
Then if new router isn't working, then they'd said out an engineer. I'm not happy with this response, but I've decided we could do with a better router that the basic plusnet one.
So any suggestions on a half decent router that will work with plusnet, but also with Sky or BT etc as we will be leaving once our contract is up.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
KS25
Grafter

Re: Need a new router

they told you that you had to buy a new router after you told them that their router was faulty? they must be joking...

keep trying, they are obligated to replace their own faulty equipment

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Markagm
Dabbler

They said there routers are only valid for 12 months and if they break or don't work past that, they don't cover it. So cause we've had the router nearly 3 years, they said they'll do nothing until we get a new router to test the connection!
KS25
Grafter

that's ridiculous, what are you using exactly?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Markagm
Dabbler

TG582n. Basically all lights bar internet light was on this morning, now no lights are showing green. Indicating that there's a problem with the connection or the line. However, plusnet say the line is fine, so it must be the router and that we need to supply a new one
KS25
Grafter

when i recontracted a few months ago (FTTC) i was sent a new 'hub one' because the old modem/router combo (same as yours i bet) was redundant tech... they should replace it, it's old, unsupported, and no longer works

see if you can talk to a reasonable chat rep, or ring again and explain that it's simply not working and that you should not have to pay for one before they will help you

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What problem are you getting?

Is there no chance of borrowing a router from someone to see if that makes a difference. I'm sure I'm not the only person with un-used Plusnet routers sitting in a cupboard!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

As Jelv says people do have spare routers I have three Plusnet routers

Two deductions

1. Plusnet have sent me free routers at various times
  2. I have spare routers I can hand out if asked
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Markagm
Dabbler

I messed about with the wires to the back of router. Taking out, putting back in etc and it's working now. So no idea what happened. I still may look at investing in a better router, but not right away. However, will still be switching from plusnet as there support and help was no existent.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Markagm

If you are moving ISP then some insist you use their supplied routers only, so there is no urgent need to buy one until you are sure it has some future use for you.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT