Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly 20% increase in Uplink Speed

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Nearly 20% increase in Uplink Speed

My Uplink Speed Increased 2 days ago from just over 11Mbps to 13.13Mbps . It has been fixed at around 11Mbps for month after month, but is now rock solid seemingly at the faster speed.
Any idea why it maybe going faster? Are there any changes or upgrades in the pipeline that may have been installed on my local cabinet?
I'm not good with mysteries, I keep trying to solve them. I can't grumble, quite the reverse in fact, I back up online as well as locally and faster up can only be a help.
3 REPLIES 3
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Nearly 20% increase in Uplink Speed

Quote from: danludlow
Any idea why it maybe going faster? Are there any changes or upgrades in the pipeline that may have been installed on my local cabinet?
Probably not. Some cabinets are supposed to be getting a technology called 'vectoring' but otherwise the next big thing is G.FAST and that's at least a year away from general availability.
Most likely DLM has just detected improved line conditions and given you back some speed. That's a bit unusual at this time of year though. The dark, cold evenings usually mean increased electrical noise from heating systems and people staying in rather than going out. I wouldn't expect it to last, so make the most of it Smiley
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks Andrue, Unusual sort of winter currently here in the extreme SE which might be bucking the trend temporarily. Warmer so heating not on very much, oil burn down on normal, (despite being much cheaper - less than gas per therm now), and yesterday I saw daffodils in bloom at the side of a country road, which I'm still struggling with, that should be impossible, I've never seen it before, although I remember sitting outside a local pub in warmth and sunshine with many others 3 days before Christmas day about 25 years ago, and not one of us believing it!
Strange things happen, I'll make the most of whatever speeds I given!
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Yeah it'd be a great winter if only it hadn't been so wet. The weather where I am (South Northants) has been pretty good during the day but there's been so much overnight rain that local golf courses are turning into swamps.