cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearer FTTC cabinet causes problem

jack21
Grafter

Nearer FTTC cabinet causes problem

Last autumn a second FTTC cabinet became live in my village - it is 500m away from me, whereas the original FTTC cabinet (from where I'm connected to FTTC) is 1000m away (Openreach  have confirmed those distances). Since then, whenever a new 'fibre' user is connected to the new cabinet, my service suffers a 3-4db snrm drop plus a consequent speed loss of around 4-5Mbps each time.

After a new FTTC user connection this morning,  my current downstream is 20Mbps, down (in steps) from the usual 40Mbps prevailing for 15 months up to the arrival of the new cabinet. This is right at the lowest end of what the current expected 'impacted' download speed should be as per the BTW checker

I've spoken with Openreach engineers working at the new cabinet, and have had an Openreach visit some months ago, arranged by Plusnet, and their advice is that I ought to be moved to the new, nearer cabinet, and that I should contact my ISP to seek help in resolving the problem. The OR chap who visited re the issue said that one solution would be to cease FTTC, move back to ADSL, then after a month or so ask to be put onto FTTC. He said that 'hopefully' the FTTC would be provided from the nearer cabinet. He also said that if I ordered a second line and subscribed to FTTC then that line ought to be via the new, nearer cabinet (that solution is overly expensive).

Anyone encountered similar issues, and hopefully had corrections made?

8 REPLIES 8
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Nearer FTTC cabinet causes problem

@Anoush was dealing with another customer on the forums with the same issue (pcp3 to pcp18 iirc!)

Not as straightforward as you would think, but looks like its doable, although may result in some downtime.

Plusnet may be able to raise it in as a fault though as the impacted value is only applicable in certain conditions like there is a bring or line tap.

What does the BTW speedtester say? does it show a red line on your download speedtest as that indicates its slow enough for a fault, if possible a fault that can be fixed by moving you to a new cab is the least impact to service just not sure if there is a process for plusnet to request it..

jack21
Grafter

Many thanks MrSilver, I'd never spotted that thread.

Initially on newly-arrived FTTC (I was a very early adopter) the line started at around 47Mbps, then over a few weeks to 40Mbps, then 40Mbps for the next 14 months until the second cabinet's arrival.

When the new cabinet was being installed, the contractors (not OR) bridge-tapped every line in the SCP it was to replace, and that had a dreadful effect on performance (down from 40Mbps to low 20Mbps) but as soon as they finished work and disconnected/removed the SCP all was fine....back to 40Mbps. I then found that over the following months my line would suddenly get a 3-4db drop in SNRM and if I resynch'd the line would also get a 4-6Mbps downstream loss. The event coincided with someone at my end of the village taking FTTC. Repeats of this took place, and the one yesterday prompted me to zip to the newer/nearer cabinet and found OR working on it - very helpfully he confirmed he'd just added a new FTTC connection to my end of the village.

Plusnet did send OR to my property last month re the speed decreases (at that point it was down to 30Mbps - below the then BTW estimate range) and the chap investigated my line, corrected a weak connection at the DP, and recommended that I ask for either a switch back to ADSL for a time and then back to FTTC, a cease and later reprovide, or take a new second line and then subsequently cancel the first. None proved to be possible. The speed remained at 30Mbps for weeks, but I've since had 2 more of the SNRM decreases and now down to 20Mbps.

The BTW checker currently (it has changed down in the last month) shows Impacted range of 35M high to 19.4M low so the line is currently just in that range.....not in red. The BTW speedtest gives 18.5Mbps.....not in red.

I raised a ticket to Support about it yesterday, so will report back as to an outcome.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Last May FTTC became available in my village. I had similar with my cabinet which my ADSL was connected, but not the speed reduction issue - it didn't get that far!

There is a cabinet, about 150m away from my house (cab 9 I now know), which I incorrectly assumed I was connected to. There is also a cabinet 1.5km away to which I was connected and had been all the time (Cab 1, ADSL). When it became availble I checked and was advised my "Superfast Broadband" speed down would be 7 - 11 Mb/s!

After a collective whinge to Superfast Staffordshire, most were then connected to Cab 9. Now I achieve the full estimated and max down and up.

So it is possible to be changed to a nearer cabinet but what would happen with a lone voice complaining I've no idea.

jack21
Grafter

Plusnet Support quickly arranged a BTOR visit; the engineer investigated, and his opinion was that the signal from the further cabinet was being unduly adversely affected by crosstalk from the nearer cabinet. His subsequent report said that the line from the further cabinet should be ceased and re-provided from the nearer cabinet. Plusnet Support have now placed an order with BT to have that action taken.

I'll report as to outcome.

jack21
Grafter

Update:   Plusnet arranged a Cease&Reprovide on my line/service for Openreach to action. My phone and broadband 'ceased' on 6 Mar, phone was reprovided on 17 Mar with new phone number, and FTTC was reprovided on 27 Mar......this time based on the closest FTTC Cabinet (500m away). The line stats are now truly excellent for my rural location, and the offline period was well worth the wait (for me).

Plusnet staff did an excellent job in seeing the work through to completion, and I'm immensely grateful for their perseverance and results.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @jack21, firstly I apologise that I missed your thread and didn't see the notification when @MrSilver tagged me. I'm happy to hear that your cease & reprovide went smoothly and you're now getting an improved speed. Thumbs_Up

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jack21
Grafter

Hello Anoush,

The related postings by you and others did encourage me to pursue the matter, and the positive outcome is highly welcome, and a credit to Plusnet.

Its just a pity that Openreach didn't automatically transfer all the FTTC-related lines that would benefit from the shorter distance to the new cab when it was activated. I do know that there are quite a number of nearby folk who are still on the furthest cab....and some are Plusnet customers.

Keep up the good work,

Jack

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hey Jack. No problems, I'm happy that we were able to move the service to the new cab and you're now getting a much better performance. Smiley If there's anything else or further I can help with please just let me know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button