cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name the cable

Powellranger
Dabbler

Name the cable

Can anyone tell me the name of the cable that goes from the micro filter to the HubOne? Need to order a longer on
Cheers
21 REPLIES 21
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Name the cable

If we're being technical it's called a RJ-11 cable but put simply it's a DSL cable.
Is there any particular reasons you need a longer one? A longer cable can sometimes cause issues especially on Fibre.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've never seen anyone reporting issues when using a long quality DSL cable. Issues are usually when someone uses a long phone extension cable and then puts a filter in the end of it!
Something like http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-20m.html is absolutely fine.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth I use two of these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RONEXA for my ADSL lines most of which has been pushed under my rack cabinet, and with no detriment to my speed.
Powellranger
Dabbler

Wanting to put the router in a more central location as our now tv box struggles to pick up the wifi or speeds are really decreased.
Thanks for the responses guys
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Much hated by some, but work for me, you could use Poerline adapters to get the signal to your TV/Youview box.
I also added a small switch to the end, so it provides signal to my Freestat box, Blu Ray player and Roku box, none of which do WiFi.
tallstory
Dabbler

Just a word of caution about Powerline adapters. I got a couple of the latest Solwise AV2 1200 Powerline units and they produced so much interference that my router would not synchronise.  I had to return them.
Powellranger
Dabbler

I'm going to stick with moving the router, the problem is caused by the chimney which basically runs centrally in the house and seriously reduces the signal in our bedroom. All other rooms get a really decent signal/speed
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The Belkin cables are quite good and are not too expensive. They are twisted pair which is what you want. As spoon whittler says, the flat extension cable is something you want to stay away from.
As for powerline adapters, I had some and they injected so much noise onto the VDSL signal that is caused a massive amount of interleaving on the line. Having said that, a lot of people use them with no issues. Though I sometimes do wonder how many of these adapters are degrading connections without the user knowing (this is where line stats are so valuable)..
I opted for this thing...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Universal-Extender-Set-top/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF...
which was inexpensive and works great. It connects to a small 4 port hub behind the TV which connects all the devices (TV, Sky Box, PS3, Android TV Box).
scottymc
Grafter

To be honest been very happy with my power line adapter's
But after reading the above post I'm going to turn them off for a week and see if the are any improvements in sync speed/snr.....
I'll post some router stats tonight before turning off the plugs
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

There are many types of Power Line adapters out there, some no doubt will be worse than others. The original ones were very expensive, but they have got cheaper, and no doubt less well designed. The ones I have were originally issued with BT TV, white Sampler network ones. I don't think they are slowing my VSDL down:
1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +xxxxxxxxxxxx
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/01/16
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 10 days, 09:53:18
6. Data rate: 20000 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 28308 / 97858
8. Noise margin: 10.2 / 10.6
9. Line attenuation: 5.7 / 7.7
10. Signal attenuation: 5.7 / 7.7
11. Data sent/received: 5.0 GB / 47.2 GB
12. Broadband username: me@plusdsl.net
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-xxxx
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Disabled
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-xxxx
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Disabled
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 18:62:2c:15:c3:a6
24. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant: AA
26. Boot loader: 1.0.0
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: scottymc
But after reading the above post I'm going to turn them off for a week and see if the are any improvements in sync speed/snr.....

One of the issues with these sorts of test is that DLM can take such a long time to make changes, that it rules any short term testing out the window.
One way I could see the problem caused was by looking at the error graph on DSLStats. There was a huge amount of errors and you could see them instantly. So I didn't need to wait for DLM to make changes. As soon as I switched the adapters off, the noise was gone. So if you have good access to line stats, that is one way to see the impact.
If the noise is present, and you remove the adapters, it will take DLM a little while to sort out the line.
scottymc
Grafter

Wouldn't the router stats change ?
Maximum data rate
Noise Margin
Even if the DLM didn't pick up in any improvement straight away ?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Not sure what would change, I just looked at the error graph and saw the difference straight away. You are right there may be other ways to detect the changes, but the error graph in my case was the most obvious sign that something was wrong.
scottymc
Grafter

My connection is fine I think.

Just thought I would turn off the homeplugs for a week or so and see if there was any interference from them.