cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTP traffic issues

danb9
Hooked

NTP traffic issues

Hi all, I was hoping maybe a network engineer could have a look into this?

Running an NTP server on my FTTC connection with a static IP however, I keep having issues with the NTP pool marking me as invalid. Would it be possible for someone to look into if Plusnet is traffic shaping NTP/UDP traffic causing this to happen or maybe something else going on in the Plusnet network or maybe an issue with a peer?

Before switching I always had the blue line which is score/quality as a straight line as 20 scores (the max) switching to Plusnet I'm not having these weird variations and never getting up to 20. Upon further investigation, it seems the connection from the monitoring station's is timing out.

The IP for LA monitoring is 207.171.7.201 if this helps.

If someone could have a look into this would be much appreciated I can't figure out any reason why it would be doing this on my side.

from LA.PNGfrom multiple.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: NTP traffic issues

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your connection.

I'm no network engineer, but our tests are showing a capacity issue at the exchange with an estimated resolution date of the 23/11/18.

Our suppliers believe that this shouldn't be affecting your service as they've been moving people off this particular piece of equipment, so they're not in a position to move you off it too. 

Could you let us know how things look then and if you're still having issues we'll be able to investigate further with them?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What are you getting shown in /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift or for RH/Fedora /var/lib/ntp/drift

The units are in parts per millilion and relate to the drift of your internal clock against "real time".

A value of 2 or 3 is fairly typical.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

danb9
Hooked

Hi Sorry for the late reply was waiting for the expected resolution of the potential networking issues to resolve.

I seem to still be experiencing it as you can see below the blue line dropping is due to some kind of networking error.
My drift file is -9.97, however, it's being disciplined by PPS+GPS on the machine so this should not be an issue.

Thanks