cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS Drive connection times out

Wiggers

NAS Drive connection times out

Hi
I have an openreach modem connected to an airport extreme (Router) and then onto a network switch and then a NAS drive (syynology 110j)
Now a while ago on ADSL I had this connected to the internet and I could remotely access it.  Now everything has changed new internet service (fibre) new router and modem. And it doesn't seem to work
So I have set up the port forwarding in the airport extreme and even added a default sever as described in this webpage https://digitalchild.info/synology-ftp-with-an-airport-extreme-firewall/ and I try and connect to my NAS with the default NAS admin password and it times out and can't connect (I am using filezilla for ftp).    I also have set up port forwarding and put 'holes' in the NAS firewall and I cannot see that webpage either (I have tried chrome and internet explorer).  I have a fixed IP and so that should not be changing.    
I also spoke with plusnet chat and they confirmed that no ports are blocked.  Now it could be that they are blocked behind the firewall where I sit now so can anyone see a log in screen at this address https://:5001 if you do get a connection then your browser will warn you about an SSL certificate you can dismiss this and carry on.  I promise I am not clever enough to add some drive by malware to my NAS!!
If by chance you see a login screen for my NAS please reply.
Dave
(NAS = Network Attached Storage basically a hard drive with a web interface)
6 REPLIES 6
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: NAS Drive connection times out

That IP address is not valid.
Can you please recheck it.
Wiggers

oops altered it now ; thanks
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Doesn't work for me Sad
Have you turned the Plusnet Firewall off?  This is setup in the Member Centre
Wiggers

Yes I have the plusnet firewall off although I don't think it matters as I don't use Plusnet's DNS's

And thanks for checking
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Can't connect to that IP from here.
Don't get a reply to ping either, but some routers don't reply to pings.
Sorry can't help much with the airport -- I've never used one. But as a general rule I would first try putting the NAS on a dynamic LAN IP address. Port forwarding works better with some routers when the device gets it's IP via DHCP.
Note:
PN's firewall doesn't use DNS.
May be as well to renew the ppp session just to be sure the PN firewall is off, that is if you haven't done that after turning it off in the members centre.
PS
I would delete the IP from your post if your satisfied with my test.
Wiggers

Thanks for checking.
Well I sorted it sort of!  The problem was with the default gateway aka router as apple's is 10.0.0.1 whereas others are 192.168.0.1 so now I can auto update the nas drive and email out notifications so connected to web.  I can even open the nas remote from site on an iphone.
Still doesn't open at work but I will move to a public wifi later and see if it does.