cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speeds have dropped since fibre upgrade

kmw350
Rising Star

Re: My speeds have dropped since fibre upgrade

That's very helpful thank you. I had it on a timer but I would be more than happy to disconnect it that way instead, if the night time disconnects continue.

kmw350
Rising Star

@adam945  Unfortunately, my disconnects seem to have become more frequent in the past two weeks, but what's worse is that they are happening in the daytime as well as during the night. So every day I am seeing at least one, usually more, disconnects  every 24hrs.

I could put up with it, but the steady drop (from 50Mbps down) to currently 30Mbps is affecting my TV streaming services, plus is a bit of a pain when it cuts off once or twice during the evening (It takes several minutes to get back up and running each time).

As you know from this post, I have already run the router from the master socket for several weeks, and I'm using the new router you kindly sent, neither of which made any difference to the number of disconnects. Surely there must be some kind of intermittent cause on the line? Is there any way that this can be investigated?

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @kmw350,

I'm sorry to hear that the speeds have decreased and the connections started to drop out during the day. I've had a look over the account and whilst we're unable to detect the cause of the fault, we can definitely see that the drops are occurring. You mentioned the router is setup in the master socket at the moment - just to clarify, is this with the faceplate on, or has the faceplate been taken off and you're connecting to the test socket underneath?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

Just to clarify, it was at the master socket (faceplate removed) for about 4 weeks. But the disconnects were exactly the same as in the router's normal position, so I returned it to it's usual spot. The more recent increase in dropouts does not appear to connect in any way to the location of the router.

However, this morning I have put it back at the master socket (again with faceplate removed) and will leave it there for the foreseeable future while trying to resolve this.

If you would rather wait a further period back at the master socket, and switched on 24/7, before any further action, I'm happy to do that. Whatever you advise, your help is appreciated.

As I've said previously, the line is probably old, between the box and my house, so I'm not expecting it to hold at the amazing 50Mbps that I see after a reset, but it doesn't seem right that it should drop as low as 31Mbps before it settles?

Thanks again

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @kmw350

The sync speed ha dropped over the last few days, which appears to be due to DLM banding the line, which is symptom of the consistent drops that you're having. The sync speed isn't hitting the banded speed either, so I'm inclined to thing that there's a fault on the Openreach network. LEt's see how the line performs over the next few days with you connected via the master / test socket, with the router on all the time as well please.

If the RRT improves, we'll hang fire, equally though we'll follow up if things stay the same.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
kmw350
Rising Star

@adam945 Understood thanks, I'll leave it on 24/7 in the master socket again and we'll see how it goes.

kmw350
Rising Star

@adam945 it occurs to me that I am now likely to see no more disconnects since the speed has dropped down to 33 or less. This is the pattern I have seen before. So it will make it look like moving it to the master socket has once again fixed it.

So please, it needs another reset to eliminate this possibility,

Thanks again.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @kmw350, thanks for getting back to us. I have tested the line and there isn't any banding on the line at the moment, so a reset wouldn't really do anything at this point. The best thing at the moment would be to remain in the test socket and monitor; if the line remains stable then hopefully the speed should start to come back up again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

@LaurenB  Previous resets have seen my download speeds start at 50Mbps, so  first off I'm a bit confused why a reset wouldn't do the same thing in this instance. When the speeds drop to 30 or so (where it currently is), then the disconnects decrease or stop.

So if we leave it as it is, without a reset, it is not going to prove or disprove anything as far as finding any faults? Surely it's far quicker to reset it and to start with the highest DL speeds to determine whether the disconnects are happening at the master socket?

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I will leave it running at the master socket as advised.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to me @kmw350, looking at earlier on in this thread I can see we requested a reset but at the time the line was banded. As there is currently nothing banding your speed and so doesn't meet the criteria for us to send this off as you're currently syncing below the profile speed.

Let us know how things go whilst connected to the test socket.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

@LaurenB @adam945, I just want to finally add an update & thank you all for your help.

I have spent the past few weeks disconnecting all internal extensions, & testing from the master socket or faceplate, with and without any extensions. I've fitted a new Mk3 faceplate (I have not touched the BT master obviously), with a new extension for my router. 

Disconnects have decreased, and each week I get several nights with no disconnects, but always still get a disconnect on each of the other nights.

There is still an outside chance it is some kind of power surge from within my property, but I have become more convinced it is something that is done at the exchange, usually 2am, 3am or 4am. It seems too coincidental that it is usually on the hour or close to it.

But in the end it doesn't matter, my speeds have stayed consistently at 43.95Mbps, & connection is good during the daytime, so as long as that remains the same I will consider it solved, and I just wanted to thank you all helping.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the feedback @kmw350 

We're glad to see your speed seems to be holding steady now.

If there's ever anything else you'd need help with, feel free to get back to us. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet