cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed has dropped and WiFi keeps dropping out

Davids1449

My speed has dropped and WiFi keeps dropping out

Hey guys,

Could anyone help me with my fibre speed my download and upload seems to have dropped and also my WiFi keeps disconnecting on devices.
3 REPLIES 3
stevewx
Grafter

Re: My speed has dropped and WiFi keeps dropping out

Hi @Davids1449 

My connection was stable at around 76Mb for two years, then started to drop last November, then since March, lots of WiFi disconnects, speed down to 52Mb and now, WiFi dropping out on all devices, requiring the router to be reset.  Nothing has changed here.

Last year, I think it was version 266, that caused WiFi to forget passwords.  100's of messages on this ongoing problem.

I was downgraded as a test.  Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 17/04/19

That got rid of the WiFi forgetting password problem and WiFi worked absolutely fine for 11 months, and now....  Same problem as you.  OK, more Broadband disconnects last year than 2018, but generally at night, so not really a problem.

But now, trying to work from home, this is becoming tedious.

Nobody will help you.  Just refuse to admit there is a problem, then ask you to list all of your devices.  Then maybe split WiFi channels, then put a paperclip in the reset hole for 20 seconds, then change your bathroom light bulbs and unplug the microwave...  BUT will never admit there is a problem/help.

My current WiFi problem is solved by rebooting the router, which seems to be getting more often, like last reboot lasted 19 hours.  Same as everybody stuck with the V266 password problem are having to do.  That's the FIX.

And it doesn't explain the Broadband connect speed dropping, but that's not happening.  You are dreaming it is, but nothing to FIX here.

I'll attach a chart of how my connection IS NOT going wrong.  Looks perfect doesn't it?  Each dot on the line is a re-connection.  Look at 2017/2018, then look at 2020.  Identical!

Good luck,

Steve

Davids1449

Hey @stevewx,

This is exactly the same problem I am facing, I'm not to sure if its my router as I've had the same router for the past 2-3 years now but I used to get a stable 76mb and my upload was perfect for live streaming as I work from home and I also live stream but for the past 6 months my stability has been awful, I do have quite a few smart bulbs and appliances connected as my home is full Google home but I have tried to disconnect everything and the issue still persists. I have just started a new contract with Plus Net and I do feel like doing an early termination to switch to a more stable provider.

stevewx
Grafter

@Davids1449 

I spent two and a half hours today playing with a second hand BT Smart Hub -Type A.  I got it to connect to Plusnet, took a while as my old password used to have a '!' and that's not possible on the BT Router.  So I had to fire up the HomeHub to be able to say I forgot my password, then reset.  Then swap back to BT.

I would leave BT running to test, but I've got another sort of problem, that means Plusnet HomeHub is better for now.

Homehub next to master socket, then an ethernet cable to a Netgear Switch in another room that has 6 things plugged in.  PC cannot see the Router, unless I unplug the router cable from the switch and plug directly into the PC.  That works fine and speed tests are good, although lower than they ought to be.  WiFi works fast on both channels, but could not leave it on long enough to check stability.  But then the only thing connected by ethernet is this PC, so the only thing it can see is the web.  So no printing, no other devices seeing the web.

Anyhow, I'm glad it's not just me.  There will be loads of people, but they will never find this thread.  And you also know it is not just you going mad with nobody listening.

If it was say Openreach failing and broadband speed dropping, that hould not affect WiFi falling over when there is a broadband connection.

And if it was the router killing wifi somehow, that should not affect the broadband line speed.

Common problem seems to be the router.

I'm following this thread, so will e keeping an eye on it.

Cheers,

Steve

p..s.  Next week, computers downstairs have to be connected to Germany for 40 hours for work over WiFi.  Like that's going to be stable.  Belt and braces, updated Vodafone SIM Only card to unlimited data today for about £10/m extra.  The mobile phone is going to be doing overtime, but at least work can be done, professionally.  Madness, but a way of doing it.  And then you think, I could just get a cheap phone, and put it a windowsill with unlimited data on it, as even 4G is faster than Plusnet.