cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My postcode is denying me fiber, but my neighbors have it...

callumw

My postcode is denying me fiber, but my neighbors have it...

I'm a long standing PN customer and my current ADSL service isn't too shabby.

Currently 18Mb down and 500k up, which is alright, but I sometimes do large video uploads to Youtube and I'd like to stream with Twitch, but my upload speed is killing me as it takes 8+ hours to upload something and Twitch streaming is a futile resolution and bitrate.

I recently changed my phone tariff and the 2 months of introductory unlimited 4G data re-awoke my fiber envy. My last video took about 20 minutes via 4G and it was done Smitten

I've been waiting for yeaaaars to upgrade to fiber and I overheard colleague who lives about 500yrds away mention that he's on a 200Mb package from Virgin.

We laughed it off with me suggesting I run a Cat6 cable to his house so I can share his superfast speeds, but it got me thinking and so I started investigating.

It turns out that my street does have it. My neighbors either side have it. The people across both streets have it (I'm at a crossroads). Everyone has fiber, but not this building - which has it's own postcode.

Could it be just a clerical error that they didn't realise this apartment block I'm in has its own postcode?

I used Sam Knows using and everyone around me has the option of BT FTTP and Virgin Cable.

When I put in just my home details it says that I don't have the option of Virgin Cable, but the site does say its BT FTTC/FTTP

When I use my postcode + my phone number I lose the FTTC/FTTP options ... Angry

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LWASH

It's a conspiracy I tell thee ....

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My postcode is denying me fiber, but my neighbors have it...

this is where you should start investigating http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput as this is the Bible

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@CallumW wrote:

I'm a long standing PN customer and my current ADSL service isn't too shabby.

Currently 18Mb down and 500k up, which is alright, but I sometimes do large video uploads to Youtube and I'd like to stream with Twitch, but my upload speed is killing me as it takes 8+ hours to upload something and Twitch streaming is a futile resolution and bitrate.

A bit late now and probably irrelevant if you're likely to be getting FTTC/FTTP soon, but it looks like your ADSL2+ upload has never been uncapped.  From memory, by default and for reasons best known to themselves, PN capped the ADSL2+ upload speed to about half of its potential.  Although this policy was supposed to have been discarded a long time ago, there are still cases where it occurs.

In your case as you appear to have a decent line, if you'd requested PN to uncap your upload you could quite likely have achieved nearer double your present speed.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@callumw

Everyone has fiber, but not this building - which has it's own postcode.

Do I take it that you live in a block of flats? If so, that will always complicate things as the building freeholder and/or landlords have to give permission to install and it is often hard to get or not forthcoming.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jezmjohn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

We had the exact same issue, we are in a small village and can see the green box and our post code was the only one that couldn't get it.

I posted here and a plunet mod kindly looked into it as it was an error - they had us down as 3300ft not the 330ft we really were!

Worth contacting them I suspect.

Good luck

jez

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Looks like fibre is enabled on the cab that DSLchecker shows you're connected to.

I've raised this with our suppliers and I'll get back to you via the ticket I'm about to raise on your account, once I've had a response from our suppliers with more information on that.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
callumw

Thanks all for your replies (and for raising the support ticket Harry)

@SpendLessTime ... yes I'm in an apartment complex. Some are 2 story like maisonette, some 3 story high (rather than the traditional high rise)

I considered switching to 4G for our internet as we get a strong signal here.
I did a speed test using my phone at home and got a pretty respectable 51.75MB/s down and 24.7Mb up.

Plenty Smiley

But after doing much research, I realised that I can't get the data I need to make it a viable option Sad
The best I found currently was a SIM only "all you can eat" data plan from 3 (£20) that has a limit of 30Gb/m for tethered access. Last month we used 160Gb ADSL so... back to the drawing board Embarrassed

callumw

@RobPN wrote:

In your case as you appear to have a decent line, if you'd requested PN to uncap your upload you could quite likely have achieved nearer double your present speed.

Thanks Rob. You were right, I called PN and it was capped (although it was capped at 0.4 and I currently get 0.7?)
It'll take up to a couple of days to officially activate, but hopefully it'll double my upload Cool