Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My neighbour can get fibre, but plusnet says I can't

mariotr87
Dabbler

My neighbour can get fibre, but plusnet says I can't

Hi all,
I phoned plusnet a couple of days ago about a home move I was planning to do, and was initially offered to sign a new 2-year contract in order to absorb the costs of moving. I decided to give it a thought, since I wasn't happy with signing such a long new contract.
I decided however to go ahead with it and called them again, but this time I was told fibre was not available at the premises, and that the maximum speed I could get is 8Mbps, which is unfortunately not acceptable for my use.
I have the option of signing with Virgin. That said, I'm happy with plusnet, so leaving would be my last resort.
I've found out via OpenReach postcode checker that the cabinet that is serving my postcode (cabinet 8, Cherry Hinton) is accepting orders for most of the properties in the block (including the one closest to mine), but not to all of them. This wasn't the case a few days ago - before signing the new tenancy agreement, I remember making sure that Fibre was available at the premises.
I have a ticket open, but it's been sitting there for two days, and I haven't been contacted by any other means. I obviously need to sort this out soon, given that I will be moving in two weeks, and I'd like the connection to be ready for the move-in date.
I wonder, first of all, whether this is possible at all - cabinet 8 is obviously prepared to offer FTTC as there's people already using fibre in that exact same cabinet. And secondly, what can plusnet do about it. I was initially told by a plusnet employee that fibre was available at the premises and was even given the new contract details, which was (obviously, part of) the reason I decided to pull the trigger with this property in particular.
Thanks in advance,
Mario.
8 REPLIES 8
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: My neighbour can get fibre, but plusnet says I can't

Pedant mode/
If you were using the terminology in your post with the agent there could be confusion caused.
I assume what you want is FTTC which is fibre to the cabinet FTTP fibre to the premises is a totally different product and not widely available. He/she may have been responding to you request for FTTP Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
mariotr87
Dabbler

Hi PeterLoftus,
Thanks for your reply. I'm aware that a number of things need to be inferred from the text above since they're not crystal clear, but I obviously would never complain or even ask about being offered a service that the provider doesn't offer in the first place; I'm simply talking about moving my current FTTC+phone package from my current address to my new address.
Mario.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

For some reason it appears to be only the property your moving to that isn't showing as fibre as being available.
I'm not sure what we can do but I'll flag it to one of our Provisioning experts on Monday.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mariotr87
Dabbler

Thanks for that Matthew.
It must be an error in the system somewhere since, as I mentioned, it used to report that fibre was available at that property too. Let me know when you have any news.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi mariotr87,
I've sent off a few emails to a few different teams at Openreach to try and get the records updated or at least some sort of explanation as to why FTTC shows as available at 11, 12 and 14 but not 13  Huh
I'll let you know once I've had a response  Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mariotr87
Dabbler

That's great Harry, thank you. Hopefully they got it wrong in the system and I can port my plusnet connection!
Mario.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've escalated the ticket on your account to myself and will keep you updated via this ticket.
I've left a more detailed response on the account, but the short version is I have not been able to get any updates from our suppliers despite multiple email to/from them  Undecided
I'll be sure to keep you updated as soon as possible though.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mariotr87
Dabbler

Thank you Harry again for your help, very appreciated. I'll have a look at the ticket.