cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fibre downgraded from 40/20 to 40/2 - Why?

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

My fibre downgraded from 40/20 to 40/2 - Why?

Hello,

As the title states. I've been a customer since mid-2015. I was living in an apartment at the point of joining plusnet, and the fibre package with 40MB download and 20MB upload (or in there abouts, it may have came up as 38MB downloads, 19.5MB uploads at the time of buying it) was fantastic, especially the upload, the main selling point of the package for me at the time. 

I moved house in April 2016, bought a house and thought "i'd like to move this package with me" since I saw no issues with it, great download speed, great upload speed, it's a no brainer. I rang plusnet, they gave me a deal and I asked to keep the same package, but just move it to my new address. I was told nothing of any downgrades or changes to the package itself upon talking to the plusnet customer sales dept person, and never received any emails prior to this to explain that the speed would change.. So I went with it. 

Now it's been a busy year, first house move, quite hectic.. so with that in mind, I am late to the party about complaining about this. I was promised the same package upon moving house, so why am I on 40/2 instead of 40/20? Is this a fault? And if so, where should I be reporting it? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tags (2)
18 REPLIES 18
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My fibre downgraded from 40/20 to 40/2 - Why?

@chrisgeehan Things have moved on: all 40/20 users have now been put on to the new OpenReach 55/10 option.

@Plusnet Another example of the systemic errors you keep making. Having had this crop up several times has something been put in place to stop this happening? How difficult would it be to run a check for all 40/20 customers who have moved to ensure they are on the correct package.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there @chrisgreehan

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your speed.

We recently moved our customers broadband circuits from 40/20 to the wholesale product of 55/10 in August.

As your re contracted during your house move your service was moved to the new Unlimited Fibre product of 40/2 so you wouldn't have been moved to the new wholesale product.

As a gesture of goodwill I will be happy to place a modify order to move your service to 55/10.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Thanks for the clarification @jelv - i really appreciate it. 

@Anoush thank you for the response, I was just about to ring customer support, however if you could adjust my package to what you've mentioned - 55/10  that would be great. How soon would that come into effect?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Anoush wrote:

As your re contracted during your house move your service was moved to the new Unlimited Fibre product of 40/2 so you wouldn't have been moved to the new wholesale product.

As a gesture of goodwill I will be happy to place a modify order to move your service to 55/10.

If the fact that his upload would be downgraded was not raised when he asked for the house move there's no goodwill about it!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I've placed the modify order for you now. This should complete tomorrow.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
chrisgeehan
Dabbler

Thanks @Anoush but I have been sitting paying this contract since April for what is actually 40/2 by the sounds of it. When really I should have been on 55/10 - I'm a tad shocked that this is in fact not a fault on the line but in fact a fault on plusnets lack of communication to me. Why was I not told about this? 

I'd like to know how many months now it's been since I should have been upgraded to the 55/10. As @jelv it seems like it should have in fact just been done as standard. While I appreciate you changing it, I'm unsure if it is in fact a gesture of goodwill, it seems more like it was overdue to my account.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

chrisgeehan  Worst part is that after 8 months , If you had not posted here PN would NOT have noticed THEIR error Ticked_off
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chrisgeehan
Dabbler

@Anoush wrote:

@hello there @chrisgreehan

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your speed.

We recently moved our customers broadband circuits from 40/20 to the wholesale product of 55/10 in August.

@Anoush could I get a response regarding my last post please? How many months have I been overpaying for less than 55/10?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Since the day your fibre connection went live at your new home.

However the problem is both the product you were on and what you are now on are both "Plusnet Fibre" - the price stayed the same but they downgraded what was supplied.

chrisgeehan
Dabbler

@jelv if that is the case, that's ridiculous. Especially since the fella didn't indicate that i was getting anything less than the package I was already on, as that's what I indicated to them that I wanted; nothing to change. 

I'm a bit stumped as to what I should do here, do I wait on @Anoush to respond? 

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think if @Anoush has placed the order to have you regraded that's probably about what you can hope for as there's no price difference which would warrant compensation, although a small offer of compensation wouldn't go amiss!

Make sure he follow through and periodically check your connection speed in case you are downgraded again in the future. You will also need to run a speed test to check you get above 40Mbps in case there's a Plusnet cap on your speed that restricts you to 40 even after the BT speed has been changed.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Regarding 55/10, we only moved customers over to this in August for those that were on 40/20 at that point.

As you moved house after we stopped selling 40/20 and the product offering was 40/2 at that point, that's the service that was ordered for you so the speeds you were getting were correct for the service we advertised then.

I'm sorry for any confusion around this and hopefully the order Anoush has placed will help out.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrisgeehan
Dabbler

@jelv thanks for your attention and insight, it means a lot and I'll be sure to keep an eye on my connection a lot more often. This has been an eye opener!

Regarding your comments @Chris - When I was moving house, I asked to keep on the same package. The fella I spoke to was in no way suggesting he was doing anything but that. 40/20 being downgraded to 40/2 should have been something that was mentioned that time, or before then, since I never stopped being with Plusnet, and same package to me means what I signed up for in the first place. 

So no it wasn't correct is what I'm saying. I respect your right to disagree but as the customer, that information was not clarified to me, and keeping my package when moving house did not mean downgrading my upload speed by 90%, i'm fairly sure I would have said no to that. I'm also inclined to believe that folks only seemed to start seeing these changes in May/June, where as I contacted Plusnet about this in early April, having checked websites discussing your deals at that point, they indicated on quite a few that it was the 40/20 deal that I was still with at the time. 

I'll check back in when the connection has been updated. 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

jelv
Seasoned Hero

The problem is Chris that he and all the others who have been caught be this were totally unaware that they were beginning a new contract on the current specification. As far as they are concerned in return for the free house move they agreed to extend their contract on their current product specification as they were not given any indication to the contrary.

One might almost think it was a conspiracy to keep that fact quiet in case the user reviewed the situation and decided to go with a different ISP at their new home - but I'm far more inclined to think it's just incompetence on the part of Plusnet for not making sure the procedure made this change clear (the user could then pay for the move and stay on their existing contract).

Edit: @chrisgeehan posted while I was composing this totally vindicating my opinion