Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My connection drops around 00:30pm each day (for the last three or so days

FIXED
schersmith
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

My connection drops around 00:30pm each day (for the last three or so days

For some reason my connection is dropping out at around half past midnight (is is down now 01:05). It comes back for a short period, maybe a minute and drops again. I am connected now via my mobile hotspot. It has been doing this for the last three days or so. It is fine all day and evening. Any idea why?

Many thanks Andy

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: My connection drops around 00:30pm each day (for the last three or so days

@schersmith Sight of your routers logs might give us an idea.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @schersmith

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues with your connection.

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing a few issues we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to resolve. 

Can you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here or the text we've sent, with when you'd be available?

If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we get the engineer booked as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
schersmith
Dabbler

Many thanks for your reply. Looked at the router system log but its 66 pages only start at around 7:30 this morning. When connected the speed is fine at its max of just over 72Mbps.

It is just this disconnection at 00:30 which lasts at least one hour plus as I give up waiting and go to bed at about 01:40.

It is:

1) Plusnet servers or

2) BT exchange (Headley THHDY)

All is fine right now 10am and will be fine all day and evening until after 00:30.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This won’t be an issue with our network, if there was it wouldn’t be localised to just yourself, we’d have a lot more people affected and we’d be inundated with calls. 

Line tests were failing with a copper joint fault and a bridge tap which can manifest itself in intermittent ways. 

I would recommend we arrange an engineer 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
schersmith
Dabbler

Dear Plusnet, Just seen your reply, many thanks for looking into this for me. I am around virtually all the time (retired). Please let me know when an engineer can attend and I will be available.
Kind Regards
Andy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Andy, no problem, I've booked the engineer and updated the ticket 218099690 with the appointment details.

We'll follow things up with you as soon as we can afterwards, but feel free to post back to let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
schersmith
Dabbler

Just to update, last night at 00:30 the connection dropped and continued to drop and come back every few minutes. This slowly go worse until around 2am when the connection would not reconnect, the router just kept trying. I then went to bed. I can find no reason at my end for this. This morning the connection is back on with good speed and reliability. My current router is an Archer VR2600, the engineer suggested I try the original Plusnet router so I will do this today and see if the connection drops out again at 00:30am. Grateful if you could check from your end the connection as the engineer did remake all connections in my installation. My router line stats are:
Upstream/Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 20000 /79999
Max Rate(kbps) 25479/ 93157
SNR Margin(dB) 9.2/ 5.9
Line Attenuation(dB) 0 /17.4
Errors(pkts) 0 0
which look good. The speed was over 72Mbps this morning.
Many thanks Andy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Andy, I'm sorry to see your connection still dropping after the engineer visit. I can see we've called you back not long ago and we're looking to book another engineer visit as we can see the drops but line tests aren't showing the cause for them.

From what you've said here I think it's worth trying the Plusnet router first. Let us know how it goes Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
schersmith
Dabbler

Fix

Update to this post. First can I thank PlusNet and BT for their fantastic service in trying to resolve this issue.

I have had four BT engineers called out by plus net and regular phone calls from Plusnet staff with updates.

So basically the connection would drop each night at 00:27 for three hours with the router re-connecting every minute or so and then disconnecting.

I tried everything at home including changing routers, turning everything off in the house except the router (still disconnected). No evidence of interference as far as I could tell.

BT changed the all the cabling from across the paddock into the house and to the master socket. Changed the master socket filtering for a more aggressive filter. I did notice that after any cable change the disconnection would change from 00:27 to some time later during the early morning but still stayed down for three hours.

The Rein team were not convinced that it was interference so did not come out.

So the solution, a Lift & Shift in the cabinet. Since this happened last Wednesday there have been no disconnections so far, the job remains open until Monday to see what happens over the weekend.

By the way my speed on a fixed IP address was 72Mbps which went up to 74Mbps when PN changed me to a dynamic IP.

Thanks again to PlusNet for fantastic service and help in getting this fault (a faulty port connection in the cabinet) rectified.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@schersmith

Thanks for the detailed update!

I'm glad to see the engineers efforts and they managed to get to the bottom of the issue by changing the port at the cabinet ‌Thumbs_UpIf you'd like to leave thanks for the engineers, I'd recommend filling out the form Here on Openreach's website.

No problem at all, feel free to let us know if you have further issues or there's ever anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet