cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My broadband speed is much lower than expected

classic2

My broadband speed is much lower than expected

I received an email from PlusNet today saying as it was 14 days since I signed up to their service, they are sending me a note of my expected broadband speed.  I have the 80 / 20 service, and the estimate my speed should be around 77mbs. 
I understood that it took some time for the line speed to settle down, but when testing the speed using the website speedtest.net, the average download speed is around 30-35mps, and a couple of times it has been much lower than this.
The BT engineer who installed my line told me I was about 30 yards from the cable box and there was lots of spare capacity, so I should be getting speeds near the maximum of 80mbs.
While the 30mbs or so I am getting is much faster than my previous service, I wanted to ask if this level of speed is the norm for the 80mpb service in my circumstances, or is there anything else I need to do to improve this.
Thanks,
Tom
4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: My broadband speed is much lower than expected

I have a suspicion what's happened but let me confirm.
[EDIT]
Turns out my suspicions were wrong. Are you running the tests over a wired or wireless connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
classic2

It's a wireless connection. I bought a new Billion dual band router for the new service, which I have been using since starting your service on the 2nd October. I have had speeds of around 75mbs for the first couple of days after the installation with this router, but over the last few days is generally much lower than this.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Is there any chance you can try a wired connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
classic2

I connected my laptop today using the cable that came with the router and I was getting speeds around 70 mbps. I then tried my router again and found that when I used the 2.4 g band, the signal strength of my network adapter was showing at 130mbps and I was getting about 30mbps in the speed checker, and with the 5.0 g band, the signal was around 520 mbps, with a speed checker of between 60-70 mbps.
I had thought that with the 2.4g band showing a connection strength of 130 mbps, there was enough capacity to get speeds of  up to 70 odd mbps, but it looks like this is only achievable with he 5g band.