Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Tidy Fibre Install Attempt :)

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: My Tidy Fibre Install Attempt :)

I tried using a power line adapter between modem and the router - this had a impact on the speed by decreasing it by 10 meg.
Not sure if this has changed
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

There will be a new firmware coming out soon for this router, with plusnet vsdl (fibre) amongst the other fixes.
I have had mine running since Tuesday and it seems OK. Bit slower sync than my TG router that it replaced (not much but it may increase).
I don't have anything on 5G yet, but 2.4G coverage is good.
Few bugbears with the menu system, no option for local dns, there is an arp->ip but it isn't tied to the dhcp so you need to set the mac address there if you want fixed ip by mac. The wifi clients have no name just mac addresses.
I have raised these with the beta f/w I am testing and hopefully something will be included in a new release. They did tell me that they are going to have a network map similar to the hh5's one.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Is it better than the bt hub 5?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
andy265
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
There will be a new firmware coming out soon for this router, with plusnet vsdl (fibre) amongst the other fixes.

It's out now, I installed the latest version from TP-Link's website yesterday and it added VDSL Plusnet amongst others to the quick setup.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Last time I looked for one of these TP-Link routers they were out of stock everywhere.
Where did you guys get yours?
JasonMassey
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
I'll soon be trying my setup (standalone Openreach modem) with some power line adapters, so it’ll certainly be interesting to see the impact, and whether a filtered lead can help.

Some power line adapters have a pass through filtered output, see below
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA251KIT-Multi-Streaming-Powerline-Starter/dp/B005KTM2G6/ref=sr_1...
This is the filter i use that isolated the noise from power line adapter into amp i mentioned.   Have seperate one in another room powering draytek modem/router.   How good the filtering on this compared to whats included above I would be interested to know.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Mains-Conditioner-Power-Strip-Black/dp/B00289GSC0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q...

andy265
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies
Where did you guys get yours?

Got my TD-W9980 from Kikatek a few weeks ago and got one for a customer from BroadbandBuyer on Wednesday, but neither seem to have stock now. A few sellers on Amazon have them, but at higher prices.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I got mine from Kikatek as well, went for the free delivery and it took a week to come.
WRT the f/w don't know if it is the same version I have but it is def. newer. I am on a beta and they haven't said it has been released.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Here is one - http://allshop-online.co.uk/index.php?id_product=42251&controller=product
Not sure if I should replace my hub 5?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I've used both, I got a hh5 and used it for a week while waiting for the f/w for the TP-link for reasons I can't mention.
The TP-link has a better web page, more options, but doesn't do local dns, or wan ping, so if that is important then stick with the hh5. Not much in it really and for £70 I would keep the money in my pocket.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I find my hub 5 quite good
Although the Wan Ping and Local DNS don't really have much use for me.  Would you say the WiFi coverage on the TP link is better than hub 5 wireless?
NE
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Didn't notice much difference. but didn't fully test them.
andy265
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
The TP-link has a better web page, more options, but doesn't do local dns, or wan ping

Definitely does WAN ping, it's under System Tools > Mange Control at the bottom.
Not sure what you mean by local DNS. It answers DNS requests and sets itself as the DNS server by default, unless you change it under Network > LAN Settings.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I meant the HH5 doesn't have the wan ping, I was getting confused between them.
Local dns:
With any of the HH's or the TG's if you have a machine in the dhcp server, have given it a name, then it is pingable by that name. This doesn't happen on the TPlink router. You can't give names to the addresses, you can create reservations but not name then.
OK you can do this by hosts files but then you need to keep them up to date and synchronised between clients. Since I like to map shares by name rather than ip address this can be a pita. At the moment I am running dnsmasq on my "server" to provide this functionality. I have the dhcp use this as a dns server then the Google dns server as the 2nd.
carlmagic
Grafter

tided mine up a bit too didn't feel like making another thread so i thought id post in this one, hope you don't mind Smiley