cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Tidy Fibre Install Attempt :)

ChirpyChips

My Tidy Fibre Install Attempt :)

I've gone from a slow 2Mbps ADSL service with another provider to a 37Mbps super fast fibre service with plus.net, so am a happy customer right now! The BT engineer did a great job but I couldn't resist tidying things up a bit by using a TP-Link VDSL2 Modem Router (which I fixed to the wall) and some short cables.

Equipment
TP-Link TD-W9980 Modem Router
TecklNet AV500 Powerline Adapter
29 REPLIES 29
carlmagic
Grafter

Re: My Tidy Fibre Install Attempt :)

Looks good Smiley
Mind if i ask where you got that short DSL cable from?
ChirpyChips

I chopped the RJ11 plug off one end of an old modem cable, shortened it and fixed an RJ45 plug on the end instead - it fits into the OpenReach faceplate much better than an RJ11 plug. But you can find 30cm RJ11 to RJ11 cables on Amazon or Ebay for a couple of quid.
JasonMassey
Grafter

I use a 0.5m Tandy twisted pair cable to router.  Hard to say what difference it made but the draytek reported another 100-200k download when i first swapped the cable, my speed has dropped off some time later but assume thats due to other issues.
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-0-5m.html
JasonMassey
Grafter

Also those power line adapters generate noise into the house electrics.  I had an amp near a TP-Link 200 and it would inject background noise into it, like you I also have a power line adapter near the router/modem (Draytek 2860n)
I have What Hi-Fi AV filter adapters, they do work because they remove noise that was going into amp.
I have no idea this helps - however my router is plugged into a separate AV filter adapter (i have servers in that location also) .   It's possible noise from the power line adapter could enter the router / modem and effect sync speed.  Again just my theory but if a powerline adapter can inject noise into a Hi-Fi amp, then it's possible noise is inject via router transformer effecting modem sync speed.
ChirpyChips

Thanks for the heads up on the potential noise from the powerline adapters. I'll keep an eye on this, although all my AV gear is connected to a filtered 6 way power strip. I may switch to a filtered powerline adapter near the router - but switching the powerline on / off doesn't seem to make a difference to broadband speed (I'm getting just over 37Mbps). The suggestion of using high speed twisted pair cabling for the modem cable is great - I have some lying around so will try that. There's a chap on Ebay that makes high speed twisted pair RJ45 to RJ11 modem cables in black or white and any length. Good stuff - thanks for all the suggestions,
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I may have mis-understood your post but you will not be able to plug your power line adapter into a filtered outlet as this will filter out the signal. Just thought I'd say.
ChirpyChips

Hi Mook, I have my powerline adapters plugged directly into the wall sockets near my AV gear to provide wired network access, but the power is supplied to the AV gear via a filtered power strip. Have i got that right?
BTW for anyone interested, this ebay seller (http://r.ebay.com/fcmehh) makes high speed RJ45 to RJ11 broadband cables to any length. You can specify connector types, cable type (flat or twisted), colour and length. I haven't used this seller but the options seem pretty good.
OzzieT

Nice tidy setup! I've just ordered this router, should be arriving today, how have you been getting on with it?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi ChirpyChips,
Congratulations, you get the job to make my home setup look tidy!!  Cheesy
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: ChirpyChips
- but switching the powerline on / off doesn't seem to make a difference to broadband speed (I'm getting just over 37Mbps).

The interference isn't likely to cause an instant degradation in speed. However, it might cause a reduction in SNR, so that a resync may then be at a lower speed. It is also possible that the interference would cause measurable errors on the line ... Perhaps enough to get the interest of DLM in a day or two.
Neither of these aspects are visible in the locked-down modem as supplied by Openreach, though can be seen in hacked modems or in some all-in-one router/modems. I'm not sure what your TP-link will tell you.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mook, I have my powerline adapters plugged directly into the wall sockets near my AV gear to provide wired network access, but the power is supplied to the AV gear via a filtered power strip. Have i got that right?

Hi ChirpyChips,
No this makes perfect sense, I read from your posting that you were going to plug a powerline adapter into the filtered strip, if this were the case then it would not work as the filter would remove the powerline signal and thus render it useless.
ChirpyChips

Quote from: OzzieT
Nice tidy setup! I've just ordered this router, should be arriving today, how have you been getting on with it?

I really like this modem router. It's great value at £70. The 5 GHz WiFi  is noticeably faster on my iPad Air and my Roku streaming stick. The 2.4 GHz signal gives really good coverage in my apartment. VDSL setup was simple and connected as soon as I completed the setup wizard. I used these settings:

• Quick Setup Page 3 (Operation Mode): Set to "xDSL Modem Router Mode"

• Quick Setup Page 4 (Select ISP): Set ISP List to "others"

• Quick Setup Page 5 (DSL): Set L2 Interface Type to VDSL, Check Enable Vlan ID, Set VID to 101

• Quick Setup Page 6 (xDSL Connection Type): Set to PPoE

• Quick Setup Page 7 (PPPoE): Enter your broadband username and password

• Quick Setup Page 8 (Wireless 2.4 GHz): I kept the default settings

• Quick Setup Page 9 (Wireless 5 GHz): I kept the default settings

The router has been running non-stop since I first set it up and it has run faultlessly. It copes well with lots of WiFi devices connected on both bands, and I have 3 bits of kit connected via powerline Ethernet adapters. I haven't checked out the advanced settings - don't really need them at the moment. It looks like you can connect storage and printers via USB.
ChirpyChips

Quote from: WWWombat
- but switching the powerline on / off doesn't seem to make a difference to broadband speed (I'm getting just over 37Mbps).

The interference isn't likely to cause an instant degradation in speed. However, it might cause a reduction in SNR, so that a resync may then be at a lower speed. It is also possible that the interference would cause measurable errors on the line ... Perhaps enough to get the interest of DLM in a day or two.
Neither of these aspects are visible in the locked-down modem as supplied by Openreach, though can be seen in hacked modems or in some all-in-one router/modems. I'm not sure what your TP-link will tell you.

Thanks WWWombat. I'll keep an eye on this and see how things go. I'll need to dig into the TP-Link's diagnostic screens. Not sure if it reports on these parameters. If it becomes an issue and I have to ditch the powerline adapters it will be a good excuse to upgrade my AV kit to components with built in WiFi!
WWWombat
Grafter

I'll soon be trying my setup (standalone Openreach modem) with some power line adapters, so it’ll certainly be interesting to see the impact, and whether a filtered lead can help.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.