cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Speeds

elfish
Grafter

My Speeds

Why is the x1 TBB test always giving me around the 20Mbps mark? Is it due to traffic shaping being applied or something else?

And please could someone post my profile/line stats.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
sjptd
Grafter

Re: My Speeds

As the other tests are good (except for slightly high latency) that is most likely an issue with your internal network.
I had similar looking graphs at one time, except the TTBx1 were even worse.  That turned out to be because of an odd mismatch between my Gigabit switch and the gigabit port on the HH3.  (I was on BT Infinity at that time, still use the HH3 on Plusnet.)  Any other combination and TTBx1 was pretty much same speed as TTBx6: e.g. use 100Mbps port on HH3 to switch and gigabit speeds switch to computer (and other computers on the switch), connect HH3 gigabit direct to computer, ...  I don't expect your issue to be exactly the same, but still suspect it is something in your local LAN.
Another possibility is interference in the network path by firewall, antivirus or network monitoring tool.
elfish
Grafter

High latency is due to interleaving (DLM being a pain).
The tests were done on a Win 7 PC using Wi-Fi (5GHz band, N, 40MHz channel width, 2x2 streams). I do have Trusteer Rapport installed, and I think I remember reading that someone had speed issues when its installed, but I would of thought that it would affect the x6 test as well.
Might try and disable it to see if anything changes. 
elfish
Grafter

I disabled Trusteer and all my security programs, and still no change.
Edit. Although disabling AVG has stopped the test from bursting at a high rate at the start. As per the FAQ, this can be the cause for high burst.
elfish
Grafter

PC directly connected (different computer):

Question is, why is the x1 TBB test so bad when using Wi-Fi and latency time so high, even though pinging when connected wired is the same as pinging wirelessly around the 20ms mark to www.bbc.co.uk.
elfish
Grafter

Ok.
I have just done a test with the PC that was directly connected but this time using wireless and it is giving me full x1 TBB test speed. Must be my other PC having issues.
Now to find out why.  Undecided
elfish
Grafter

I have still been unable to work out why the x1 TBB test gives me slow speed. I have uninstalled software including all AV products and winPcap and disabled the Windows Firewall. I have tired both IE and Chrome, no difference. I have tried 2 laptops and they have no issues with the x1 TBB test using the same wireless band, so it seems that there is no issue with my network.
I have ordered a different WNIC to see if its my current one giving issues.
The two laptops are running Win7 64-bit, whereas the problem PC is running Win7 32-bit, of which I would assume, should make no difference, but that is a difference between the computers.
The PC in question is running the latest release of Flash, drivers, etc.
Has anyone got any other suggestions?
elfish
Grafter

Fixed it.
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
I changed it to:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
And I now get full x1 TBB speeds.
There were a few TCP settings that were not set correctly. I have no idea why, as I have never touched them until now.
Result (it is a Wireless connection):

Fantastic guide here: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574