cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My (Replacement) Router keeps stopping, & Broadband very slow

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

My (Replacement) Router keeps stopping, & Broadband very slow

My Plusnet router was replaced a couple of months back as I was getting regular drops on my Fibre Service.

At first it seemed and improvement, but recently it keeps dropping out. Today I lost Wifi & Ethernet connection, so powered off & on, Ethernet came up but still no Interent Connection via WIFI (but local connections were working)

A second reboot resolved the problem, but it's happening far too often.

Additionally, and possibly associated with this is that the internet connections are PAINFULLY slow, more like they were when I was on copper.

I've run the BTW package and it states the UP/Down as 28M/1.8 which looks good in test mode, but the reality is it's awful. I repeatedly get long delays followed bu www.XXXXX.com does not respond, check DNS settings.  Often a reboot resolves this, but not always.

I run NetWorx net monitor and not that when there are issues, the downloaded traffic drops to > 30-50k, but with a lot of uploaded traffic.

I'm getting increasingly disillusioned with my Plusnet connection, and regret having recommended Plusnet to several people, and unless something can be done to improve things will seriously consider a change ASAP, as I feel that the service I'm getting doesn't warrant the charge I'm paying

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: My (Replacement) Router keeps stopping, & Broadband very slow

Which Plusnet router do you have? (You can tell from the pictures here if need be https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/)

There Is an issue for people on Unlimited Fibre (40/2) using a Plusnet Hub One where maxing out the upload causes the router to lose connection to Plusnet. Please see https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-fibre-broadband-does-not-cope-with-uploads-and... and add your name there if needs be.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

I have a 2704n, this is the second one which has exhibited this freezing and/or dropped connection

Although I can resolve it by powering off & on, 

a) this shouldn't be necessary or happen these days

b) if you're in the middle of something online it can be difficult or impossible to recover once service is reinstated

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Run a new BTW test, first time it said it couldn't complete due to an error, reran, went to advanced options & got result shown in encl file

Any speedtest suggests there's no problem, it just using it normally that gives problems, login (e.g. this site > 20 secs) can be painful, and often gives errors if you reclick Login believing it hadn't taken first time, abd as for BBC iPlayer, forget it at present!

SpendLessTime
Hero

@dougjbarnes1

Yep that speedtest result is good but as you are experiencing issues, the problem is intermittent. 

I would suggest faulting finding first checking the voice phone line as this can be the cause of broadband problems. This links explains the tests to perform https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

If you do find a fault on the voice phone line then just report a voice fault, do not mention broadband issues. And then see where you are after that.

If there is no voice fault, then you need to step through the broadband fault guide at https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-FTTC/ba-p/1322788

Hopefully something will show after all these tests.

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

I've checked the phone, there's no obvious problems, we've always been very please with it (apart from volume at handsets but I'd guess that's a handset issue anyway)

I made the PPPoE connection directly from the PC and it's much better, I can login to most sites almost instantly and I can watch iPlayer in HD (a novelty in itself). BTW now shows a download speed identical to the max expected on my line (~33M) instead of the ~28-30M I was getting.

Went back to old layout and pretty poor performance

Tried a new cable between the two routers, that seems to improved the performance on iPlayer to something approaching the PPPoE connection (but of course a qualitative evaluation). BTW now reports download ~31M, better than before but still a drop from a direct connection which is a little worrying.

As far as continuity of connection, will have to wait & see, but I'd like this complaint kept open as, should the problem start reoccuring, I don't want to be told I'm then out of warranty and will have to pay for any replacements as to my mind this has been an ongoing issue since soon after I started my fibre connection

SpendLessTime
Hero

Hopefully it was just the cable.

I guess it is a case of wait and see now.

Seems funny that Plusnet didn't issue a Hub One when your old 2704n went bad. But at least with a separate Openreach modem you can take the router out of the equation which you did.

Fingers crossed for you.

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Router stopped AGAIN some time between 13-03-2017:21:00 & 15-03-2017:07:50

No internet access. All expected LEDS were alight on both the 2704n and BT Modem

I could ping the default gateway (1925.168.1.254) but no further BUT COULD NOT connect to modem via HTTP.

Power off wait 10 secs, power on solved problem AGAIN (but for how long)

Seems silly to have a fibre internet connection that I need to power off & on regularly, please can something be done otherwise I will start looking at alternative, cheaper deals!