Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ping and I

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: My Ping and I

I'd agree with DS in that let us know if you experience problems gaming while other devices are streaming with either a trace running continuously in the background or as soon as it starts to lag.

It may also be worth repeating that on a different gateway (not ptw-ag02, disconnect and reconnect to try to get on a different one), as it looks like you didn't do much testing while you were on a gateway at the Colindale point of presence.

Sorry if this has been covered a while ago but is it possible for you to try gaming on your laptop/computer on a different connection altogether like at a friends house for example?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gdaviez
Dabbler

mine was connected by cable during those tests

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Thanks for clarifying @gdaviez Smiley

If that was direct by ethernet, without any powerline adapters, then as per the time Joe also had latency at the first hop, something isn't right there.

You should be getting 1ms or under and not 4ms as per your traceroute results.

So, either try again without PLA's, or try another cable.

svrN
Dabbler

Hi - I am not a PlusNet customer but wanted to say how impressed I am with the level of effort being put in here.

I want to add my diagnostic efforts to see if it helps find a cause.

I have the same problem with latency spikes during any media streaming, my problems first appeared when Open Reach installed a G.Fast pod (which is not yet available for ordering) to my cabinet ~January of this year.

I have completely exhausted local router options to get this resolved;

Routers and flavours tried: WRT3200ACM, Asus AX11000, NetDuma R1, Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, pfSense, UNTANGLE, dd-wrt, OpenWRT, Merlin, Gargoyle.

Modems tried: HG611, HG612 with unlocked firmware, Draytek Vigor 130, Cisco 887 (This is a router/modem combo).

With regards to your traceroutes, try not to pay so much attention to latency spikes during the hops, this is normal as the core infrastructure do not treat ICMP packets as a priority, it is your end-hop latency that matters - if your end-hop latency is high and one of the hops is high, then it is likely caused by that hop, if your end-hop latency is low but there is a spike during the route, it is inconsequential as it was the core router just treating that packet response as low priority.

I would suggest using the free version of PingPlotter but make sure you leave its polling at 2.5 seconds or you'll get packet loss to your own router as even your own router will not respond to ICMP packets as a priority.

If you haven't already, a think broadband quality monitor can show how awful the problem really is (mine below):

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6b2e939ef21a970374e340a00ff45d204f...

I have bit the bullet and ordered a new line to try and diagnose this further, but it is my belief that this is an open reach issue with traffic management, as I noticed the same latency spikes with VPN traffic...

@Gandalf I don't think the problem is PlusNet or BT Retail, I think it occurs on OpenReach before handed over, as looking at the BT thread, those who migrated to different ISPs and didn't have the problem did so to ISPs that have an LLU presence at their exchange.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for sharing @svrN Thumbs_Up

(as an aside, I also didn't have issues during my time on a LLU ISP. It was only with BT or Plusnet. Though my PN issues appear to be resolved now - not too sure how, but the only gamer here has had no issues for over a month. It could have been the line fault, that seems to be fixed, it might be by now using a BTH6, or retiring the PLA's, or the better higher spec gaming PC we built, or the data centre issue PN had in April. I would have loved to have found that actual cause!)

jbligh87
Rising Star

Sorry, cant carry my rig to someone else's house to test Tongue but my computer was formatted so It has nothing but windows, chrome and the game ive been using to test on it. This was already an avenue we exhausted. I still get spikes when I am the only one using the internet they are just less frequent.

How do I switch gateway? just keep turning the router off and on (at the switch or using control panel?)

@svrN We have run tests in the past with ping plotter, but the frequency was set to 0.5 sec instead of 2.5 and giving us a red herring as it was making the issue look like it was at the router (we are now several routers later but good to know!) I will try running that test on ping plotter later with a larger frequency

DS
Seasoned Champion

I wonder if anyone sells a 1000 metre ethernet cable!! Cheesy

(or joking aside, even if you do have a friendly neighbour right next door, a 30 metre ethernet cable... or more using an ethernet joiner?)

How do I switch gateway? just keep turning the router off and on (at the switch or using control panel?)

As Anoush suggested -

Could you disconnect and reconnect through your router settings and run another traceroute? If you land on the BNG-01 can you try to keep disconnecting until you connect to a different one. Please then run another traceroute. I’d say do the disconnections in your router settings to avoid the dynamic line management(DLM) software at the exchange making things worse if there are constant reboots of the router.

Regarding pingplotters, another user on that BT thread tried this one:

https://pinglogger.co.uk/

(I have no idea how good it is thoughUndecided)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for your post @svrN and welcome to our community forums. Thumbs_Up

I have the same problem with latency spikes during any media streaming, my problems first appeared when Open Reach installed a G.Fast pod (which is not yet available for ordering) to my cabinet ~January of this year.

To me this sounds like you need to arrange an engineer to investigate the issue maybe request a lift and shift moving you to a different port at the cabinet, assuming you haven't already. Having said that we've made a lot of assumptions and were so sure about various causes in @jbligh87's case and we've been wrong Sad so I'd take my advice with a pinch of salt. Roll_eyes

I'm still thinking there may be not 1 thing in common here, that they've all likely got separate causes.

I don't think the problem is PlusNet or BT Retail, I think it occurs on OpenReach before handed over, as looking at the BT thread, those who migrated to different ISPs and didn't have the problem did so to ISPs that have an LLU presence at their exchange.

Yeah I got that impression when reading the thread but without being able to go into those users accounts it makes it a bit difficult to find any common links.

What's odd is that the issue is affecting a number of people at different exchanges over the country so it makes it difficult to find a common cause for the issue if we're looking at the Openreach network.

it is my belief that this is an open reach issue with traffic management

I can't comment on this as I'm not aware that's the case.

However, this is interesting:

as I noticed the same latency spikes with VPN traffic...

I'll bring this up with my networks engineer colleague next week.

He's assisting me with this and aims to carry out a good investigation then.

Sorry, cant carry my rig to someone else's house to test Tongue

Back in the day I used to carry a big desktop PC to a friend's house for a world of warcraft sesh. Those were the days!

I'd recommend via the router settings/control panel to try not to disturb DLM.

I also got another reply back from the marvel team (think Iron Man) this morning and he's agreed with me that another engineer should be tasked out as the upstream mean time between errors is particularly low and would affect your gaming.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

Sorry, cant carry my rig to someone else's house to test Tongue

Back in the day I used to carry a big desktop PC to a friend's house for a world of warcraft sesh. Those were the days!

Maybe I will have to when vanilla wow is back out if my internet isn't fixed! Tongue

I will let you know what slots I can be available on the question on my account. Will the engineer be arriving with the knowledge that the upload specifically needs testing or should I expect to tell him the epic tale of "My ping and I"?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Maybe I will have to when vanilla wow is back out if my internet isn't fixed! Tongue

Sounds like a plan!

I will let you know what slots I can be available on the question on my account.

OK cool, if possible I'd probably start from mid to end next week. That'll allow me some time to escalate it Smiley

Will the engineer be arriving with the knowledge that the upload specifically needs testing

When I escalate this with Openreach (directly, that's a relatively new process we have) I'll be sure to request that the engineer is made aware of that and also the history of the fault, I'll also request the local area manager is emailed.

While I'll be requesting this I can't guarantee I will be able to escalate it due to how long ago the previous visits had been. When we used to escalate with BTwholesale there had to be a previous engineer visit in the past 28 days, I'm hoping that this isn't the case when we're now escalating this with Openreach but there's only one sure way to find out.

At the very least we'd be able to leave notes for the engineer.

or should I expect to tell him the epic tale of "My ping and I"?

It's a good (and a sad) tale, who wouldn't want to hear it? Tongue

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

Having said that we've made a lot of assumptions and were so sure about various causes in @jbligh87's case and we've been wrong Sad

I'm starting to think it's climate change - that's about the only thing I've not blamed on this thread Cheesy

so I'd take my advice with a pinch of salt. Roll eyes

And mine., though I'd not even go that far in my case!

I'm still thinking there may be not 1 thing in common here, that they've all likely got separate causes.

I'm not so sure. The timing of these reports are too much of a coincidence. Could it be the cards OR are swapping out? Oh darn it, another reason!! But is there a way for PN to find out if those on this thread have had recent(ish) 'maintenance' at each cab? I know OR are swapping ECI for 'who are we' (Huawei) cards or vice versa.

What's odd is that the issue is affecting a number of people at different exchanges over the country so it makes it difficult to find a common cause for the issue if we're looking at the Openreach network.

Common cause, see above - cab work....?

Back in the days, there were trees to climb, ropes to swing from, things that didn't need any computer, those really were the days Wink - though I'm not as old as some may thinkAzn

Anyway, I still think all of the reports on these PN forums are too much of a coincidence. Why would avid gamers in various locations all start to see oddities. This is sending me bonkers!!

I suppose, the other common factors might be either an OS issue, a Windows update issue, a component in the device issue, not a router issue (as some are not using BT/PN routers), something to do with the games being updated (ie better quality screen graphics), or something we've not thought of yet - ruddy nora, more reasons lol.

But moving to LLU is something I find rather interesting, that kinda puts the blame on OR's gear....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Some good points.

But moving to LLU is something I find rather interesting, that kinda puts the blame on OR's gear....

As far as I'm aware the Openreach equipment at the cabinet is the same when you move to LLU.

It's possible that it may be due to a new type of cards they're using and maybe the networks of the LLU providers handle traffic differently in a similar way that our Pro Addon slightly improves things. All speculation though...

Back in the days, there were trees to climb, ropes to swing from, things that didn't need any computer, those really were the days Wink - though I'm not as old as some may thinkAzn

I'd happily go back to those days although I fear I'll spend them on my N64 again. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time was my childhood...ping didn't effect that game Sad *contemplates fishing out the old N64*

DS
Seasoned Champion

BT, Openreach, tom-8-a, tom-r-toe Wink

I badly worded the above, it is afaik in the exchange then?

(though how OR plan to shut the exchanges is something I can't answer if other ISP's gear is also in there)

Whoever it is, LLU have their own gear, that runs along side the other original gear.

(how else would I get faster ADSL speeds with $ky;))

It also answers why those whom have been on VM or LLU for years, who then move to BT/OR's gear don't always have a record of any historic speed results - thus no minimum guaranteed speed when joining PN for example.

Also, if it was all owned by BT/OR, how can Sky remote in and reset their DLM during a call?

I could however be wrong...?

(my first use of 'console' was an Atari 2600, and my first use of a keyboard type 'PC' was a British Broadcasting Corporation Microcomputer System aka BBC Micro, but was I a 'yungsta' ;))

jbligh87
Rising Star

@Gandalf out of interest I ran ping plotter with a 2.5 second interval as svrN suggested, it highlighted hop 7 with a low packet loss although still shows spikes in ms in the lower graph. Please see attached.