cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ping and I

svrN
Dabbler

Re: My Ping and I

I've said it time and time again, I truly believe this is congestion at the exchange (openreach - and also why random ping spikes may go away for some people after many monthes as openreach adds more capacity), and the traffic they choose to prioritise is not games (of which only a fraction of their customers use).
It isnt just about the bandwidth but also the switching capacity, how many millions of packets per second the equipment can handle.

My other line is moving over to Sky also (LLU) - so will report back.
Siledag
Hooked

@DS As suspected the issues are now gone connected to a LLU. That might at least steer someone in the right direction and stop pointing fingers at the consumer all the time! Can't always be our fault! Grin

svrN
Dabbler

@Siledag Yup. But there isn't much they can do other than blame the customer as they have _very_ little power over Openreach.

I've followed and contributed for over 6 months on this [-Censored-]e, I am certain, it is congestion at the Exchange and OpenReach putting in traffic shaping to keep the majority of their customers (Media Streamers) happy.

One of my lines changes over to LLU this friday!!! Hurray!!! The other will be following shortly after.

jbligh87
Rising Star

So, new Sky connection kicked in yesterday.I hooked up the router, booted up the pc and although the ping was generally higher (from 21ms on PN up to 33 on Sky) it is stable! Only moving from 33-34ms with YT, Twitch and downloading going off at the same time. My download speeds are slightly higher too (8.5mbs on PN to 9.2mbs Sky through Steam).

Seems the LLU which is part of Sky's broadband delivery method fixes the issue!

I know my connection will fluctuate while it adjusts for a few days but already the connection seems stable and I am finally able to play some of the games I couldn't before.

Its a shame this couldn't be fixed through PN but hopefully this insite helps others / support team.

I was planning on taking advantage of the mobile sim only offers Plusnet have before I had to switch Sad

Thanks again for the help getting this far everyone. Hope this info helps others (including support team) save time and effort in future.
svrN
Dabbler

@jbligh87 Very happy this fixed it for you :). LLU means that the operator you have gone with has a presence at your exchange, meaning you don't go through OpenReach's equipment at the exchange, or their backhaul to where PlusNet point of presence was.

Your ping will be slightly higher as I imagine the DLM has you on interleaving to begin with (normally about 8 - 12 higher dependent on the value applied, which would make the numbers you are seeing normal), give it a few days and G.INP will be applied to your line instead of interleaving.

My new line has full sync 80/20 and its speed is still around 60Mb (because I have a congested exchange), my old line switches to Sky on Friday.

DEAR PLUSNET - This is like, the 30th person who has fixed this by going LLU - try and apply some pressure to OpenReach who are evidently doing something at the Exchange or Backhaul level to prioritise media streaming traffic where congestion occurs.

[EDIT]

I will be including this closing paragraph on every reply to this thread, as people who come here with the same problem need to know what fixed it.

SWITCHING TO AN LLU PROVIDER IN YOUR AREA WILL RESOLVE LATENCY ISSUES - Find if you have an LLU provider by using the SamKnows exchange checker. If you are currently in contract, you can argue Consumer Rights Act 2015 as these ISP's sell broadband capable of gaming and multi-tasking.

svrN
Dabbler

Right.

My line switched to Sky today. Same line, same cabinet... NO MORE LATENCY ISSUES.

[SOLUTION]

I will be including this closing paragraph on every reply to this thread, as people who come here with the same problem need to know what fixed it.

SWITCHING TO AN LLU PROVIDER IN YOUR AREA WILL RESOLVE THE LATENCY ISSUES DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD - THE PROBLEM IS WITH OPENREACH.

Find if you have an LLU provider by using the SamKnows exchange checker. If you are currently in contract, you can argue Consumer Rights Act 2015 as these ISP's advertise and sell broadband capable of gaming and multi-tasking.

jb68
Grafter

I had this issue on BT and I switched to Plusnet and it’s resolved the issue for me. Changing the port on the cabinet maybe fixed it for me ?