cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ping and I

jbligh87
Rising Star

Re: My Ping and I

Ah.. .thank you... I really don't know what I'm doing in this area. Nor do I have the confidence or patience to learn and understand something so complex just to get (potentially) reasonable internet service. I guess I'll grab a BTHH6 as suggested and see how that goes..

Thanks again for your help and advice chaps.

jbligh87
Rising Star

@MatthewWheeler @Gandalf 

The BT router should be arriving some time next week. I will try that, if that does not work I'd like to know what option I have.

In the mean time can you please look into that options are available and find answers for the below:

*Can my contract be ended early with out charge?

*Will I be compensated for the last 3 months without usable internet?

*Have we exhausted all options for a fix?

As I have said before I would prefer to stay with Plusnet if possible but I don't want to pay for a service I'm not getting. 

Thanks again for the community (and support) for trying to fix this issue. This feels like the final attempt to resolve this.

Thanks, Joe

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hey, I was the same once. It was a steep learning curve, getting a lot of help back in the days of the BT Beta Forums.

In then, back in 2008, decided to pass on the (little) knowledge I had.

(I had to learn about how the www gets in and out too)

The BTSH6 is, thus far, the best ISP router I've ever used. The setup isn't too hard either. Tweaks beyond the 'normal' can be fiddly, but as I said, if you get one and get stuck, give me a shout. I've recently turned PM's back on and if there's something you're not sure about drop me a note via that method too if you want.

I can only advise based on my experience. My connection would drop, the H1 foobard with the latest software, I made the decision to try a H6, the drops stopped and it works very well indeed, better than I ever thought it would.

You could always sell it on if you ever leave Plusnet. You should still get roughly £20 or so back from your initial investment.

DS
Seasoned Champion

fwiw

*Can my contract be ended early with out charge?

I've already got it in writing. I'd exhausted all other avenues, before I went for a H6

*Will I be compensated for the last 3 months without usable internet?

Good question. No one has offered me anything for my recent connection issues

*Have we exhausted all options for a fix?

It's getting close imo. I did have several Openreach engineers attend since February alone

As I have said before I would prefer to stay with Plusnet if possible but I don't want to pay for a service I'm not getting. 

That was my thoughts too.

Thanks again for the community (and support) for trying to fix this issue. This feels like the final attempt to resolve this.

If you don't see any improvements with the H6, then it's got to be something either on the line or the network.

We shouldn't need to look at an alternative router, but should yours work, like it has for some of us, then it's got to be their router. I've had no complaints from my family since 18 April in terms of games glitching out or Netflix not working. I'm actually starting to enjoy the lack of the regular whinging from my kids!!

(It's so quiet, I forget they're in the house)

If you still have issues and Plusnet say it's not at there end, then I have no idea what it can be:(

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Joe,

I'm sorry to see that you're still having latency issues.

I've discussed this with Matt and I understand that we've practically done almost everything possible to try to identify the cause of the problem, and our suppliers escalation team have confirmed no fault on the Openreach network.

We think trying a different type of router may be one of the last steps to take. 

With regards to whether we'd allow you to leave your contract term without any fees I'm afraid that's not something I can answer at the moment but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. 

We also don't normally compensate for latency issues but we'll be happy to offer a goodwill gesture once/if this is hopefully resolved.

Out of curiosity, could you advise what make and model of BT router you've bought and let us know how it goes once you've received it too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

BT router arrived today, its a BT Home hub 6. The one I linked in a previous post.

I have set it up following the guide DS linked and got connected, sadly, had no luck. The only difference it has made is that my low ms (between spikes) is 1ms lower lol. I still get spikes in ping.

I ran another ping plotter and saw same culprits: hop1 and hop 3. (see attached)

No idea if this has anything to do with anything but when I boot up my PC and open browsers, I get ~10 seconds where the browser shows there is no network connection. Then it works after that. To me that implies its either struggling to connect to the router or the pc is the issue (I don't know how my pc can effect connections on other devices).

Any other ideas? 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @jbligh87 

Thanks for letting us know. 

As @Gandalf has mentioned above we running very low on ideas...but at least we now know that this has replicated on a different piece of kit. 

I'll have a chat with the wizard tomorrow and one of us will update this thread with how we plan to proceed forward. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

DS
Seasoned Champion

Undecided

@jbligh87 wrote:

BT router arrived today, its a BT Home hub 6. The one I linked in a previous post.

Good

I have set it up following the guide DS linked and got connected, sadly, had no luck. The only difference it has made is that my low ms (between spikes) is 1ms lower lol. I still get spikes in ping.

Something isn't right. I dropped around 8ms (on average) when I compared previous tracerts

I ran another ping plotter and saw same culprits: hop1 and hop 3. (see attached)

Something really isn't right. You should not be losing any latency on the first hop to the router. I assume this is still wired?

No idea if this has anything to do with anything but when I boot up my PC and open browsers, I get ~10 seconds where the browser shows there is no network connection. Then it works after that. To me that implies its either struggling to connect to the router or the pc is the issue (I don't know how my pc can effect connections on other devices).

I'd check your settings out on that PC. It shouldn't be popping up no network connection messages.

Have you set that PC to use non Plusnet DNS?

Have you set that PC to have a static IP?

Let's guess to say something is killing the ethernet during use, this I'd of thought it would show high latency if it's dropping.

Any other ideas? 

This really is a strange one. As you're seeing it on 2 different routers it does kinda sound like something at your end is the guilty party.

Can you put either another PC or a laptop (with wifi off) on ethernet only and then see if this also gives the same results?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

*scratches head frantically*

I'm going to bring myself up to speed and read your thread again before offering any more suggestions as I've missed quite a few posts in April.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've read through this and discussed with Matt again and we're still scratching our heads to be honest.

It's possible that the high latency on the 1st hop to the router may just be a red herring. Having said that, it's probably worth investigating that further. Can you try the steps @DS has suggested before my previous post?

It may also be worth setting up a ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor from Here posting up a graph once it's run for a bit. This is a really useful diagnostic tool and might show us something that we've not seen yet.

Regarding your contract with ourselves I'll add a reply to your support ticket 187775025 in a moment.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

I have grabbed a work laptop which has a complete new build on it. It's as "clean" of a device as I'm going to get.

I will try some trace routes etc when I get back using this laptop. If there are no issues then I will format my pc and reinstall windows from fresh and try that.
However if the ping still spikes using the work laptop to test may have to cancel the contract as there's obviously something out of my control causing the issue. I will update later.

Thanks, Joe
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK cool thanks for the update Joe.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

@jbligh87 wrote:
If there are no issues then I will format my pc and reinstall windows from fresh and try that.

If there's no issues, I'd be more inclined to get the ethernet part of the PC tested before formatting.

(assuming the ethernet cables have been ruled out)

jbligh87
Rising Star

So... I formatted my PC, it currently has nothing on it but Chrome.

Attached are some TRACERT BBC.CO.UK tests:

Capture- On my PC with original cable

Capture2- On my PC with new ethernet cable

Capture3- On my PC with new ethernet cable and using EDGE instead of Chrome (because why not at this point)

As you can see, generally the connection on all three screen shots is stronger to the router and the MS is lower, beyond that it's still a mess.

I am really out of ideas now, if Gandalf and DS can think of nothing else I will have to cancel the subscription at this point Sad

If the problem is somewhere along the line an issue with Plusnet and BT, what other provider should I look at using? Should it be none BT?  I can't get Virgin internet where I live.

I don't particularly want to leave Plusnet to be honest but this isn't viable for me to keep using/paying for.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Well, it's got me stumped!!Crazy2

I guess the works laptop gave similar results?

(did you keep any of those results?)