cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ping and I

jbligh87
Rising Star

Re: My Ping and I

I checked my connection again and... well see attached, 1100ms ping spikes woo!

I don't know anything about routers so i'm not particularly interested in cashing out for one in hopes that it proves the one you provided isn't up to the task. At a quick glance (again I have no knowledge of routers), highly rated ones are from between

£50 and £450+ not something I'm willing to try on a whim.

The only thing that's changed since all of these issues began is that now my internet looses connection randomly (which ironically was the original issue of which the 'fix' caused the ping spikes) so now I have ping spikes and unreliable internet.

What are my options for getting out of this contract? I haven't been getting the premium service I've been paying for, for the last 3 months. If, as you say, we are out of options?

jbligh87
Rising Star

attachment

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@jbligh87 wrote:

I don't know anything about routers so i'm not particularly interested in cashing out for one in hopes that it proves the one you provided isn't up to the task. At a quick glance (again I have no knowledge of routers), highly rated ones are from between

£50 and £450+ not something I'm willing to try on a whim.

There's no guarantees, but why not go on ebay and pick up a FTTC (not FTTP) BT Hub 6?

You can get one for £20 or under. Thus far, three others (myself included) have seen very good results with this router - my connection could drop out every few days, with some high pings, but since ditching the Plusnet router my pings have dropped by around 8ms (not much, but better) and my connection has been up for over 14 days!!

(it's gotta be worth a gamble imho)

jbligh87
Rising Star

Thanks again for the advice DS. If I grab one of these, is it plug and play or do I have to bodge the settings to make it work? Another question, would I be able to use this router if I end up having to switch to a none BT ISP later down the line?
DS
Seasoned Champion

No, you need to make a few changes. The main things are you'll need to type in your Plusnet username and password in to the H6 and it really is advisable to turn off smart setup.

There's an how to on the forums - https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/bd-p/Hardware (top sticky)

It's really important though, as per my previous reply that it is a FTTC one.

I've not actually followed the sticky myself, but I'd suggest you make all the changes before actually connecting it to the line. If at any point you aren't sure, drop me a note and I'll do my best to assist you;)

(other tweaks including unsyncing the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi).

Mine is rather unique, as I've removed the BT logo from the UI;)

(a bit OTT I agree, and when I have a spare few mins, the other things that I don't want are going too)

my UI.PNG

As I said, no guarantees, but some of us have really seen improvements in terms of the connection not dropping, which is the main thing you need to sort out. IF it carries on dropping after installing the H6, then it has got to be the line imho. Still worth a £20 (or LESS) investment;)

(don't get carried away and bis too much for one, also look for ones with either free postage or low postage costs, also ideally get one in a sealed box)

edit @jbligh87 AFAIK the hub 6 only works on a BT or Plusnet line, I thought I'd mentioned it then realised I hadn't, my bad.

jbligh87
Rising Star

Thanks again,

Am I looking at the right thing here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153460407309

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yes, that's the one.

But, imho, look for one going for less, though it's your call. I actually got mine for free (not from Plusnet btw) and one other forum user paid just under £20.

If you're feeling lucky, a quick look myself is showing some used ones with a few hours left showing prices under £7 but with £2.90 postage, and no they're not my listings!!

(some have gone down the used route and found it works fine - pressing and holding the reset button on the rear would be advisable if you opt for a used one)

jbligh87
Rising Star

Why have they put in the description on the one I linked that it is Plusnet? will that only work for plusnet? confused ^^

I think I'd rather avoid second hand for surety 

DS
Seasoned Champion

The clue is in the detail

It will also work with Plusnet FTTC and ADSL services.

Regardless, any BT router will work on a Plusnet connection, as BT own Plusnet and Plusnet use the BT infrastructure.

(BT are probably not happy to see these listings, as theirs sell for £129 new)

edit and yes I can't fault your way of thinking regarding getting a new unused one.

jbligh87
Rising Star

I guess what I'd like to understand is, will this router still be a 'useable' upgrade if I end up with a none BT ISP and want to use this router over their standard router? would it work?

These things aren't locked like phones are to EE etc?

DS
Seasoned Champion

I have not looked on the www, but would say it'll only work on BT usernames (bthomehub@btbroadband) and Plusnet usernames (yourusername@plusdsl.net and yourpassword) combinations only.

I know previous BT routers can be configured to run as a slave router, thus connecting to another brand of router but with the latter on the phone line.

(for example, a friend of mine is with TT and I set up a BT router for better wifi coverage - phone line -> TT router -> ethernet cable -> BTHH = better wifi coverage using both routers for the wifi).

I've not read of anyone using a BTSH6 as a secondary/slave router. If I get chance I may at some point see if this works.....

jbligh87
Rising Star

Ah ok, so would I be better getting a cisco or other non ISP branded router to test this? 

jbligh87
Rising Star

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOIJ0TM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creative...

It seems to do all the things the BT hub does but isnt designed just for BT (I think) as I said, completely new to routers to please let me know if I've missed the mark but this one was a recommended replacement to the 'free router' provided from ISPs I found on this post :

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/2016-update-router-options-for-uk-fttc-fibre-broadband...

DS
Seasoned Champion

That I can't answer Sad

Although I'm fairly clued up on routers, I've always elected to stick the the ISP supplied routers. So in my case my 'tinkering' started with the BTHH2 onwards, then a stint with the Sky Hub 2 (SR102) router and then the Plusnet Hub One.

Regarding the BTHH2, 3, 4 and 5, I know all of these can be used as a secondary router, as should the PNH1.

If you're thinking of a one router for all ISP's, then either have a read through some of the forum topics or ask a new question...?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The TP Link that you have linked will have significantly slower Wireless and LAN connections.

Wireless N rather than the dual Band AC and Gigabit Ethernet of the BT/PN hubs.