cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ping and I

IronBelly
Hooked

Re: My Ping and I

@orangeman Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm curious as to why the static IP would eliminate packet loss. If you have any insight on that..... I would've thought it would just put a reservation on that IP and remove it from the DHCP pool. Routing would still remain the same right? And your traffic would still necessarily flow across the same devices on each hop....

orangeman
Grafter

i have no idea how it works

all i can provide is this "check pics"

shows diff ips. i restarted router 3-4 times 1st didnt route different and then using static ip you can see it changed

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@jbligh87 Sorry to hear the issue is still ongoing after all this.

I've manually added a static IP to your account and credited off the charge for you.

In addition I've also dropped your connection so you pick this up straight away,

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
orangeman
Grafter

While ur at it @MatthewWheeler can you credit mine i had to add on Saturday please as you can see here i swapped and look what it changed packet loss wise!

If you need any other info to sort the reverse the fee please let me know thanks

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@IronBelly wrote

Routing would still remain the same right?

No. It gets routed differently when on a static IP.

orangeman
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler

noticed u were last online 30 mins ago but no reply here

can you help with my request to waiver the staticip fee due to packet loss issues?

Thanks

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @orangeman I've credited the static IP charge off.

I want to stress though, going forward, if anyone else has a similar issue we would kindly request that people don't add the static IP on their account and then contact us after for a credit.

Applying credits without reason can affect our billing and auditing (from a business standpoint it isn't ideal). Technically if you take it upon yourselves to add the static IP via the online 'add ons' portal, we could hold you to the charge.

If you believe an issue could be solved by adding a static IP, let us know and then we can just add the component to your account if appropriate. 👍🏻

jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi Matt,

Just had a look and it hasn't fixed the issue. Still getting spikes although they do seem slightly less intense.

I spoke to the engineer earlier and he has submitted his report to the account handler at DSO(?) this morning. Hopefully that will help you make a decision on the next course of action. He has said as i am on on a new port on a new card in the box he is confident that he has done everything he can from his side.

I have run a Pingplotter trace route to see where packet loss is. It looks different to how it did  when I ran it with the engineer. This may be due to the static IP?

I have 3 hops showing packet loss. I will attach the screenshot to the question on my account.

Thanks, Joe

jbligh87
Rising Star

Added ping plotter screenshot on here for reference too 

orangeman
Grafter

@Optimatts Thanks for this

@jbligh87 sry this has not fixed your issue Sad

jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi Matt,

Adding screenshot of pingplotter tests I've run today, I have changed the Ethernet cable and ran it to Youtube, bbc and twitch.tv. Each time the first hope has large packet loss and smaller packet loss on different hops. It's worth noting at this point that I have tried a different router early on in this 'adventure' and it behaved exactly the same.

I don't need to change any setting on my router to support static IP do I? I did reset it yesterday before I tested.

Thanks, Joe

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jbligh87,

I'm sorry to see that you're still experiencing packet loss. The router reset has moved you onto the static IP.

I've tested your line but the test still isn't picking up the cause of this issue from here:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 80.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 405.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-04-12T14:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 80.0 Mbps 80.0 Mbps 80.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 895.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-04-16T19:12:41Z 2019-04-16T19:27:41Z
Ingress Code Violation 2 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@jbligh87 There's more to this than you may realise.

You shouldn't be seeing any loss from your device to the router

From experience, 2 things cause this, 1)router software out of date and 2)an issue with your NIC

I guess you're running a Plusnet Hub One, if so what software version are you using?

Have you tried another device in place of your current PC/laptop, then run ping plotter on this using the same ethernet cable?

jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi DS,

I have tried from multiple devices on multiple cables, when the engineer came out he ran it from his laptop using his own Ethernet cable and did some ping trace test which showed the packet loss further down the daisy chain than my router. Note that all of this was before I was put on a static IP this week. Since then the main point of stress seems to be the router.

The engineer said the router would always be a point of pressure but shouldn't be the problem as we have tried two different routers, both Plusnet routers.

Yes I believe that is the router I have, I don't have any software for the router. If I was to do anything with it, I would browse to it through Chrome. But I haven't changed anything, have never needed to.

Would be nice to hear from Plusnet? The engineer submitted his report on Monday, obviously that report will be able explain his findings better than me.

Thanks, Joe
jbligh87
Rising Star

Also, I'm not sure what an NIC is to advise 😛
I assume I can check the router software version on the router control panel? I'll check after work.

Thanks for advice!