Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Ping and I

jbligh87
Rising Star

Re: My Ping and I

Hi Anoush,

Very disappointed, the engineer came out and found the connection had no obvious issues, download speeds were fine. I tried to explain that the issue wasn't speed, it was the fluctuation in ping. He told me ping was out of his area of knowledge.

After testing the line he told me he had to follow process and the next step in his process is to have the router replaced. Even after telling him (and showing him) that I had tested a different Plusnet router and got the same result.

The engineer wasn't willing to try a different port on the box so I am currently no further forward and I assume I am waiting for a new router? I assume I will need to have more time off work when the engineer inevitably has to come back out.

How do we progress this? I know that changing the router will not fix the issue.

Thanks, Joe

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Joe,

It is disappointing to see the engineer didn't arrange the lift and shift even though you've tried another router. I've raised an escalation with our suppliers to try to ensure that the next engineer who goes out arranges this.

However first I've been back in touch with QA via e-mail and as we've tried attempted going down the route of a broadband fault investigation, they've placed the move to another S-VLAN which should complete overnight.

In case we do need try to moving you to a different port at the cabinet, I've also asked Wholesale if they can order a Tie Pair Modification which is basically a lift and shift but they're order it remotely as opposed to an engineer arranging it. Unfortunately they said it wasn't possible to remotely order this for fibre circuits.

Can you let me know how it goes tomorrow afternoon/night if you get a chance to play the games then?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi Anoush,

Only just had chance to to check and unfortunately, no. My ping is still inconsistent. I have attached a screenshot of my ping whilst Youtube it playing. This behavior is the same as before. Sad

Thanks, Joe

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Sorry to hear this @jbligh87 

As @Gandalf has organised a VLAN shift let's wait and see how that goes so we don't have too many plates spinning at one time and then go form there. 

Feel free to post anything else that relates to this on this thread in the interim. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi MoR, Sorry, have I missed something? Anoush's email implied the VLAN would be in place lastnight? Checking today I am still having the same issues. Thanks, Joe
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Joe,

Apologies for the confusion, and I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing problems following the VLAN move. 

I think it's worth going back down the engineering route and pushing for that lift and shift given that the problems started shortly after you were moved to a different port. Unfortunately this means another appointment, though our suppliers escalation team will try to ensure that the next engineer carries this out.

If you can reply to the ticket 187775025 with further availability I'll book the visit in.

Thanks -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi Anoush,

I have added my availability to the question as requested. I do have a question: 

What is to stop them coming out to my house and saying "You haven't had a new router like I suggested last time" and refusing to move the ports like last time? The engineer was adamant that its their process to replace the router as a next step and it's also their call if they move the port. I don't want to get in between yourself (plusnet) and the BT engineer but I don't want to run around in circles either.

I also don't want to waste more time off work to get no further forward.

Thanks, Joe

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks again for your time on the phone Joe.

As you've tried tried 2 routers I don't really see the benefit of sending out a 3rd, so I've booked the appointment for an engineer to visit on Monday in the AM slot, and I've also notified our suppliers to escalate this with Openreach to try to ensure that the engineer carries out the lift and shift.

Apologies for the hassle this causes and the time off work you're having to book off again.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi Anoush,

I'm back and with more bad news... The engineer has been out. He says there is a problem with the port I am on and the new port he was to move me to. I believe he requested a 3rd port to try that.

He just called me and said all the spare ports in my box are no good and additional ports need adding, he has put be back on my old port until the work has been done.I assume his report with confirm this.

I supposed the good news is that it is confirmed that the problem is at the port, the bad news is that it still isn't fixed, wont be for some time and I will likely need more time off work. I truly hope I will be compensated for this Sad

Thanks, Joe

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update Joe.

I noticed that via the brief (and cryptic!) notes on the fault report we were given.

I can see a LLUMS case is raised to repair or replace the ports. We should have an estimate tomorrow regarding when this should be done by, these type of issues aren't a quick fix as sometimes they'd need to order them in from abroad.

Hopefully we don't need to arrange another appointment though.

Once the fault is resolved I'll be happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi Anoush,

Thanks for the response, can you update me when the ETA for both the additional ports and the lift and shift (after the new ports are created) when you know more please? As you can imagine, I would prefer if this would could be done as high priority please.

Thanks, Joe

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Joe,

Following the notes from DCoE (Diagnostics Centre of Excellence) at Openreach which I based my previous response on, the engineer notes we've been given around 45 minutes ago agree with you that they moved you back on to the previous port, which will unfortunately likely entail us arranging another engineer visit to try the lift and shift again once the LLUMS case is resolved.

I've asked our suppliers escalation team for a timeframe when the LLUMS will be sorted and I'll be sure to let you know when I know more, though I'm afraid there's very little we can do to escalate these type of cases with Openreach for a speedier or high priority resolution.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Gandalf wrote:

....................I'm afraid there's very little we can do to escalate these type of cases with Openreach for a speedier or high priority resolution.

Whilst Plusnet is not yet a signatory to the OFCOM compensation scheme BT Openreach is, so can you not recover the daily faulty service charge from them?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jbligh87
Rising Star

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your comment Smiley

@Anoush, does Maurice's comments help at all? Also, is there any update on the additional ports?

A side note - before the engineer came on Monday my average ping (between spikes) was 23ms, now it sits at 30ms. Not an issue (still spiking) but interesting note how messing with ports can effect ping.

Thanks, Joe
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Anoush, does Maurice's comments help at all? 

Unfortunately even if it's possible this isn't something we'd do at a support level nor will it speed up the resolution.

Also, is there any update on the additional ports?

Not yet I'm afraid, our suppliers are expecting an update from Openreach tomorrow.

I'm out of the office tomorrow so I'll relay the update to you and chase if needed on Friday. (This won't delay anything as our suppliers will be proactively contacting Openreach tomorrow if there is no update then).

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet