cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PLUSNET internet was supposed to be come online today in my new home.. i have no internet still..

Stylin
Grafter

My PLUSNET internet was supposed to be come online today in my new home.. i have no internet still..

Hi, a week ago i phoned up plusnet to tell them i moved home and i want to bring internet with me. 

they said it will take 7 days and il be connected again on the 18th of April, today.

ive plugged in both routers the plusnet WIFI is showing in my WiFi devices found, but theres no internet.

i attached picture of my wifi being found with full bars and it says no internet.

i have even tried manually connecting the router to internet by accessing the router through the browser, still dont work.

if some staff can help me out would much appreciate it.. cheers! 

13 REPLIES 13
CharlieBV
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: My PLUSNET internet was supposed to be come online today in my new home.. i have no internet sti

Good morning,

I believe it is surely mentioned on the email that it will be active up to midnight, which means anytime of the day today it will be active. 

I believe that you must wait for the email confirmation stating that ''Your broadband is ready to go'' before plugging your router. As soon as you receive that notification, plug-in your router and it should be active. 

If not the case, leave it until tomorrow, and contact them.

Charlie

Stylin
Grafter

Re: My PLUSNET internet was supposed to be come online today in my new home.. i have no internet sti

Nope it didnt say active up to midnight, it just said the 18th.

if its not active why does my WIFI pick up signal  from the router?

il guess il go and turn everything off until i get the email you mentioned.

thanks for reply.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @Stylin,

Please accept my apologies that confirmation of when the order will complete isn't clear.

We usually expect all orders to complete any time up to midnight on the date that the order is committed for. You currently have an open ticket with the house moves team and they will monitor the order until completion and confirm by email once the order is complete.

The router will still broadcast a wireless signal even when there is no connection to the internet as this allows access to your local network for tasks such as transferring files between your devices and printing.

Feel free to get back in touch if you are still unable to connect to the internet by 19/04/2019.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Stylin
Grafter

thanks for response.

I just had text message from plusnet saying my home phone service is ready to use..

called the number and it worked so thats sorted.. but i tried to get the wifi working and still no internet.. 

internet and home phone get sorted at different times?

i took picture of my routers so you can see if i have connected everything right..

Stylin
Grafter

on your guide here..

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

it shows the master socket with a DSL socket( i attached screenshot with arrow pointing to it so you know what im on about), i no longer have that in my new house, im using one of those DSL connectors.

plusnet sent out a engineer in my last home when i signed up to fiber broadband, they fitted the master socket with the dsl cable socket.. do i need engineer again to get that dsl socket fitted into master socket?Huh

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Stylin

You don't need an engineer to fit a dual socket. It's just a modern way a lot of phone sockets are getting installed.

However if your property comes with a conventional telephone socket (a single hole in the wall) all you need to is connect a DSL filter/splitter to the socket (you should have one in the router we send).

Essentially modern sockets generally get fitted with an in built filter. You just need to use the external filter provided with your router.

At the moment keep your router unplugged. As the message says, your phone service is ready to use. But your broadband order then gets activated shortly after.

You'll get a separate notification when your broadband order is completed.

Stylin
Grafter

My internet is up and running. didnt receive any text or email about it though, so plusnet should probably work on their notifications.

my download speed is 35Mbps which is 4.5mb download speed.. in my old place i was getting 6.5mb download speed..

Why did i lose speed?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Why did i lose speed?

It could simply be the fact you've moved. Different line, cabinet and exchange (if you moved out of your original area).

It could even be the 10 day stabilisation period.

How new or old the master socket is (and/or extensions from it) can all affect your speed.

(there's many other factors too - probably too many to list)

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Stylin,

My apologies for not receiving a notification, on this occasion it should have been sent manually but wasn't picked up quick enough after activation.

After testing the line, your connection is operating at a sync rate of 40Mbps down and 10Mbps up, which is within your new estimated speeds. Did you run the performance test by Ethernet cable? As you are at a new address it could be that new forms of interference have been introduced to the wireless signal.

If you receive higher throughput by Ethernet cable, please follow the guide below in splitting the 2.4GHz / 5GHz frequency bands and changing the wireless channel.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

Once this is changed, you will need to try a performance test on each frequency band. If the problem persists, the next step would be to change the wireless channel.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
DS
Seasoned Champion

Not one to be picky @Jubby but that standard reply is actually missing something very important

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

Once you make changes, you need to click the Apply button for these changes to take place!!;)

Same for most other changes, you need to click apply

Anyway, a quicker method is to click this http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105 and it'll take you straight to the 5GHz wifi page (after typing in the admin password). That link works on most BT routers (not the H6), including your Hub One.

(anyway, just pointing it out;))

Stylin
Grafter

just looked and im on the unlimited fiber package.. speeds are 38mb to 40mb (so im getting about the right speed for this package.)..ive been on this package for years and was getting 50mb+ before..plusnet must have lowered the speeds.

anyway, i just tried a speed test with cable connection and it scored less than WIFI. to save bothering with fitting the cable in carpet and all that boring stuff im just gonna stick with using just WIFI for now.

would i be able to use a router thats not from plusnet? I will need a more powerful router for WIFI so all my other gadgets can get full  WIFI power from the router downstairs, since router wont be in bedroom anymore.

cheers for responses.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Stylin

Thanks for coming back to us.

Many 3rd party routers can be used with our service - you'd just need to manually configure the username and password in the router's internal menu system. This is generally easy to do and I'm sure that if you do acquire a 3rd party router, many of the community members here will be able to help.

Best wishes

Dave

DS
Seasoned Champion

ive been on this package for years and was getting 50mb+ before

Guess you could have been on the old 55/10, which is no longer available and you're now currently on 40/10.

(if you hadn't have moved, maybe you could have had it 'tweaked' back up to 55/10)

anyway, at least you found out why;)