cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple static IPs

mrcoyote
Dabbler

Multiple static IPs

I've asked the customer care team via Twitter whether it's possible to get multiple static IPs on the Fibre Unlimited Extra product and was effectively told that I would have to sign up for the business broadband package or change ISPs.  I don't mind paying a little extra for the additional IP (I only want a /30 rather than a huge range), but to jump for £22.49 to £42 per month for the sake of a single extra IP address can't be right given that I'm out of contract.
Admittedly, I don't want to move my phone line as I am happy with my current provider given the additional benefits that I have in my package which does limit the choice somewhat, has anyone managed to get this or will I have to move as I can get what I want elsewhere for less money than the business fibre product?
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Multiple static IPs

Plusnet's IP block policy is clearly detailed here:
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/IP_block_allocation.shtml
They haven't offered multiple IPs on a residential account for many years and, as you've found, you need to move your phone to them to get the cheapest broadband prices (as the inflated line rental charge subsidises the broadband)
If you really need a /30 it looks like you need to look elsewhere...
mrcoyote
Dabbler

Thanks.
I am aware that's the policy, but I was wondering whether anybody had managed it inspite of it.
I might have to try the dreaded double NAT to see whether that affects the VPN too much.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It might be cheaper to have a second phone line installed (and signup with someone who does static ip addresses) than pay for the business rates.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

avatastic
Grafter

There's really not much need I can think of for multiple static IPs anymore (and no you can't have mine back now I've just said that!), with SNI in the TLS protocol allowing for multiple hosts in SSL certificates.
Unless you're wanting to offer different server responses depending on the IP address, but I can't think of a situation that applies to which can't be dealt with at the application layer, but will be happily enlightened if you have one.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)