cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple disconnects but customer service say it’s nothing.Am I going mad and not seeing red lights?

lucillapaull
Hooked

Multiple disconnects but customer service say it’s nothing.Am I going mad and not seeing red lights?

I’m so sick of this. My logs are showing very regular drops but customer service are saying everything is fine and I haven’t got a problem. I go to my router and it’s red, they say it isn’t and try to get me to change my wireless channel, as if that would help and besides my wired devices are going down too I say, yet still they want me to change the channel! So for example, extracts today from my event log (until it won’t go back any further), all I want to know is, doesn’t this show there’s a problem that Plusnet should be trying to fix? Can someone please tell me if I’m being unreasonable, getting it wrong or just going slightly mad! Thanks

PS Being an insomniac and seriously ill, I like to listen to podcasts or watch say the US Open at night to pass the time, so whilst downtimes at night aren’t a problem for most people, they are to me.

00:13:52, 04 Sep. (450152.510000) PPPoE is down after 258 minutes uptime [Disconnected]

19:53:43, 03 Sep. (434543.000000) PTM over DSL is down after 20 minutes uptime

19:53:43, 03 Sep. (434543.000000) PPPoE is down after 19 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

19:32:47, 03 Sep. (433287.590000) PTM over DSL is down after 33 minutes uptime

19:32:47, 03 Sep. (433287.590000) PPPoE is down after 32 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

18:59:03, 03 Sep. (431263.030000) PTM over DSL is down after 57 minutes uptime

18:59:03, 03 Sep. (431263.030000) PPPoE is down after 56 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

18:00:51, 03 Sep. (427771.290000) PTM over DSL is down after 237 minutes uptime

18:00:51, 03 Sep. (427771.260000) PPPoE is down after 236 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

14:03:02, 03 Sep. (413503.760000) PTM over DSL is down after 465 minutes uptime

14:03:02, 03 Sep. (413503.740000) PPPoE is down after 464 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

06:16:57, 03 Sep. (385539.200000) PTM over DSL is down after 94 minutes uptime

06:16:57, 03 Sep. (385539.200000) PPPoE is down after 93 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

04:41:45, 03 Sep. (379827.060000) PTM over DSL is down after 27 minutes uptime

04:41:45, 03 Sep. (379827.060000) PPPoE is down after 26 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

04:13:24, 03 Sep. (378126.260000) PTM over DSL is down after 1 minutes uptime

04:13:24, 03 Sep. (378126.250000) PPPoE is down after 0 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

04:11:20, 03 Sep. (378001.490000) PTM over DSL is down after 12 minutes uptime

04:11:20, 03 Sep. (378001.470000) PPPoE is down after 11 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Multiple disconnects but customer service say it’s nothing.Am I going mad and not seeing red lig

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the Spam Filter.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Multiple disconnects but customer service say it’s nothing.Am I going mad and not seeing red ...

Hi @lucillapaull

Thanks for providing that information.

I can see that we've raised a fault ticket for you here.

Based on the ticket content, I'd suggest that the next logical step would be to send an engineer to your premises to investigate this further, particularly if your neighbour has interacted with the connection to your premises as you suggest.

If you'd like us to do this, please respond to the ticket on your account with your availability. Just as a reminder, this would need to align with the engineer slots which are either 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm and (usually) Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Dave

lucillapaull
Hooked

Re: Multiple disconnects but customer service say it’s nothing.Am I going mad and not seeing red ...

I asked for an engineer last week and got told to change my wireless channel instead! Then yesterday I spoke to your faults team and was told there wasn’t a problem that warranted an engineer at the moment unless I wanted to pay £65.. How bad does it have to get? Yes, it’s intermittent but it’s been a pretty regular set of dropouts since last Thursday. This is the second time this has happened in a matter of months.

im beyond cross at this terrible service and nobody admitting there’s a problem outside of my house. I live in a modern house, barely go in the room with the router in it and there’s nothing else in the phone socket other than the router. Admit there’s a problem, try to rectify it without threatening me with a £65 charge and I’d have a lot more respect for Plusnet

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @lucillapaull

I'm sorry to hear that you feel like the £65 charge is a threat.

We have to advise all customers of this potential charge when raising a fault as the charge is passed on from our suppliers if the fault turns out to be internal or if no fault is found.

Let us know how you get on after the visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
seadog
Hooked

I've had the same problem too, although my line only goes down a couple of times a day. I was told it was a wifi problem and spent £160 installing BT wholwhome discs. These have improved the wifi a lot but the lines keeps dropping, so it's nothing to do with the wifi. I pay for fibre but the end of the line from the junction box is still copper running through water-filled trenches with no protection.

lucillapaull
Hooked

Well, posting on here helped in that I had a phone call this morning from a lovely, knowledgeable chap in the faults team who admitted there is some sort of problem but I needed an engineer who is coming tomorrow morning. However, still got the threat of a £65 charge if it’s my wiring or, and this is the worst bit, if he can’t find a fault. When the engineer came 2-3 months ago, I spent 2 hours trying to persuade him that there was a fault, which he couldn’t find and persuading him to go and look in the box at the end of the drive. Lo and behold, the fault was indeed found in that box, a loose wire.

Here we are again. I too have the same issues over distance from exchange and copper wire, it’s no wonder the fibre we pay for is slow and prone to faults. All just frustrating. At least this time I’m getting an engineer the morning after they’ve finally agreed to send one and I know where to send him first! 

Good of luck with your problems, it seems it’s very easy to be the victim of speaking to the wrong people who want to misdirect you away from where the actual problem lies. I fear I will have another fight on my hands tomorrow!

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that this issue is causing you and for the concern regarding the possibility of a £65 charge for the engineer.

We can see from your connection log that there's definitely an issue, as your connection is dropping frequently. We are stringent when it comes to accepting and passing on engineer charges from our suppliers and would push back on them if they claimed that there was "no fault" in this case.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
lucillapaull
Hooked

I think there’s a fundamental problem with your policy. In the last 3 months or so I’ve now had 2 Openreach engineers. Both said there was no problem on my internet, therefore in theory I would’ve been charged £65 twice because they couldn’t “find” a problem. However, on the first occasion he thought there might be a loose wire in one of the boxes, he sorted out the wire, the internet stopped dropping.

yesterday we had another engineer, who was lovely by the way, but he too said he couldn’t find a problem on my line. However, in one of the other boxes on the road he found it was filled with water and there was slight corrosion on the connection so he renewed the connection and said my internet immediately improved by 2MG (which is a lot for me in my semi-rural area) and he hoped that might fix the dropping connection.

now, my issue here is technically under your policy I would’ve been charged twice as they couldn’t “find” a problem as their systems and testing detected nothing. I however consider a loose wire and a corroded connection as a “problem”, neither of which are on my property and neither of which I have any control about. I’m really unimpressed that you continue to threaten your customers with a £65 charge every time I report a fault or speak to someone about the same fault. I happen to be a vulnerable customer and whilst I shouldn’t necessarily be treated any differently to anyone else, poor customer service, being disbelieved and having to speak to multiple strangers adversely affects me more than most. No customer should be treated in this manner.

Come on Plusnet, you are more expensive than other providers and yet you single yourselves out on the basis of British call centres and excellent service - things I’m happy to pay more for - however, I think your fault policy and customer service is failing.

i wait to see if the “fix” from yesterday helps, I suspect it might.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry to see this, 

The mention of a potential charge isn't intended as a threat so we're really sorry if you've seen it that way. We don't want anyone to be charged that, it exists to ensure that any potential for the issue being due to something within the home is ruled out before we make such a booking, it's also relevant if for some reason the engineer wasn't able to enter your home when booked. 

I'm glad to see that the connection has remained stable since yesterday's work so it does hopefully look like the matter is resolved now: 

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with though.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team