cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Dropouts Daily & Low Speeds. Previous fault never fixed by Openreach. The same fault ?

acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Multiple Dropouts Daily & Low Speeds. Previous fault never fixed by Openreach. The same fault ?

For the last few weeks I have been suffering from multiple dropouts and low speeds and am currently achieving below my Plusnet minimum guaranteed speed

Last year a fault was identified by Openreach (Q#193013608) on a stretch of cable coming from the roadside cabinet onto my estate. I was told that they had it in their future plans to replace it but as far as I know they have done nothing about it. The faulty cable is producing crosstalk and I was advised that because I am near the end of the cable it will be impacting me more than my neighbours. 

I do not know whether the current problem is new or just a worsening of the old problem.

I am on the Unlimited Fibre Extra product. In April 2019 (before the previous fault) the Broadband Availability Checker showed I should be receiving download speeds of between 73.4 Mbps and 50.7 Mbps and upload speeds of between 18.5 Mbps and 12 Mbps. I was achieving the top end of those estimate. 

At the end of November last year (after the fault was diagnosed) I entered into a new 2 year contract with an estimated download speed of 45 Mbps to 65 Mbps and upload speeds of 10 Mbps to 15 Mbps. The minimum guaranteed speed was 40.7 Mbps. I was achieving just above those minimums at the time.

Now back to the current problem. 

My router is currently synching at 34.9 Mbps down and 0.8 Mbps up with the Noise margin is 10.6 down and 11.6 up. My latest BT Wholesale speed test (attached) achieved a download speed of 27.43 Mbps down and 0 Mbps up. It states ‘For your connection the acceptable range of speeds is 21.61 Mbps to 30.88 Mbps. IP Profile for your line is 30.88 Mbps.  

I am finding that generally my line becomes unstable late morning to early evening. During this time the line drops multiple times (but not necessarily every day). The upload synch speed varies from under 1 Mbps to about 7 Mbps. By early evening to the following morning the router is synching in the mid 30’s Mbps down  and about 7 Mbps up. Throughout this time the noise margin varies greatly particularly for the upload speeds. Is this because of crosstalk ? Multiple BT Wholesale speed tests have been undertaken over the last weeks which presumably Plusnet have access to.

The dropouts are happening on the the line (not WiFi). All speed test have been carried out wired with no other internet traffic happening. 

My usual router is a Netgear D7000 which is wired to a 5C master socket. I have tried it in both the test socket (with a filter) and in the filtered front socket. There was no difference. Have also switched routers to a Plusnet Hub One and done the same. Results were worse than with the Netgear.

I have also carried out a quiet line test with a wired phone direct into the test socket. There was a constant background hissing on the line but no other interference. 

I would like to lodge a fault on my line but am unsure how to proceed.

Is a quiet constant hissing noise on the line (when doing a Quiet Line test) normal ? How quiet should quiet be ?

The broadband troubleshooter asks whether I am aware of a faulty cable. Should I say Yes ? If I do it says something to the effect that an engineer will come out to investigate. Last time I had about five different Openreach engineers investigating and in the current time I do not particularly want any calling at my home. They already know the previous fault has not been fixed. Will they be able to identify whether it is the same fault or a new one without entering into my property ?

With my speeds being below the minimum guaranteed by Plusnet what happens next ? 

Assuming it is the previous fault getting worse as a result of increased internet usage during lockdown can anything be done about it ? Are you able to contact BT Openreach again to see if they have a date for fixing the cable ?

Apologies for the length of this post but I just want the fault fixed !

9 REPLIES 9
WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Re: Multiple Dropouts Daily & Low Speeds. Previous fault never fixed by Openreach. The same fault ?

Hi @acr, I've tested the line and this looks to have found a potential fault on the network. I've sent you an email out to recap the troubleshooting steps we'd need completing and you can raise the fault with our Faults team via that email.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
acr
Rising Star

Re: Multiple Dropouts Daily & Low Speeds. Previous fault never fixed by Openreach. The same faul

Many thanks for your reply @WillF .

I have already carried out all the steps required before a fault can be raised. My router is currently connected to the test socket via a filter.

I already knew how to raise a fault, I just was not sure about the noise on the line or whether I should say 'Yes" to the question about knowing if a cable is faulty. I am still none the wiser.

When using the link in the email I just get redirected to a blank white page. The same happens if I go direct to the broadband troubleshooter through the Plusnet web site.

Not sure if it is my connection or a problem at your end. Could you please advise what to do. Can the fault be raised manually ?

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Re: Multiple Dropouts Daily & Low Speeds. Previous fault never fixed by Openreach. The same faul

Hi @acr, no problem, I've manually raised that for you. Could reply to the ticket with some engineer availability and we can get that booked in? I wouldn't be too concerned regarding the 'faulty cable' question. If you've tested the line within the test socket that's fine. It's likely the faulty cable you mentioned before is representative of the impairment fault detected on the copper line and as this is external, it's Openreach's responsibility to fix. Hope that helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
acr
Rising Star

@WillF Many thanks for raising the fault.

I have times for an engineer visit to the ticket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @acr 

I can see we've picked that up for you this morning and we've emailed and text you details of the engineer appointment. 

Let us know if you have further issues after.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
acr
Rising Star

The engineer found a faulty port at the DSLAM and it appears to have been fixed. There is now no noise on on the line and the broadband has been stable since the engineer left.

My BT IP Profile is now 51.92 Mbps whilst my Plusnet Current Line Speed is 28.4 Mbps. Any chance of lifting the Current Line Speed to match the IP Profile ? Thanks.

acr
Rising Star

This morning the current line speed now matches the IP Profile but a number of speed tests are showing download speeds of no more than 26 to 28 Mbps. These are wired speed tests with no other traffic. 

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @acr I can see that your fault is already with the Faults Team here, as it was a drop in connection fault they'll need to monitor this for a couple of days.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
acr
Rising Star

Many thanks for your reply @tinytaco . Although my line is now stable with no dropouts since the engineer finished yesterday the actual speeds being achieved are much worse. The latest speed test gave only 18.37 Mbps down. I will wait for the faults team to contact me .