Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Much slower than usual connection speed

FIXED
gc8839
Grafter

Much slower than usual connection speed

Hello, I'd be grateful if a member of staff could check on the plusnet side to see if there's any reason why my connection speed has dropped.

Here are the stats from my vdsl router (ASUS DSL-AC68U).  Most of these mean nothing to me but I notice that the max rate and data rate are significantly lower than they've always been (they used to be around the 80,000 mark and I believe the max rate was actually even higher than that).  I've used this router for a long time and it has been rock solid in terms of connection speed and dsl link uptime.

Many thanks!

Line Stats
  Downstream Upstream
TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)
On
On
SNR
5.5 dB
6.1 dB
Line Attenuation
10.8 dB
15.6 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
FastPath
Interleave Depth
Data Rate
36380 kbps
14683 kbps
MAX Rate
53436 kbps
14706 kbps
POWER
13.5 dbm
0.4 dbm
INP
2.1 symbols
1.0 symbols
INP-SHINE
-
-
INP-REIN
-
-
CRC
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Much slower than usual connection speed

Moderators Note.

Moved to the correct board.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped.

Our tests are showing a external fault on the line so we've raised that for you and we'll update you when we know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gc8839
Grafter

Super, thanks for the quick response.  And thanks to the moderator for moving this to the correct forum.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

No problem.

Fingers crossed we can get it fixed for you soon.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gc8839
Grafter

So, having posted this issue on Friday, I received a call from Openreach on Saturday saying they'd fixed the issue.  What an incredible turn around time!  The data rate and max rate stats look much healthier now (see below).

However, I am still getting 30Mbps from speed tests.  I'm hoping this will just be related to a profile or the DLM.  I'd be grateful if someone could double check that.

Many thanks!

Line Stats
  Downstream Upstream
TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)
On
On
SNR
8.7 dB
15.3 dB
Line Attenuation
2.8 dB
5.5 dB
Path Mode
FastPath
FastPath
Interleave Depth
Data Rate
79999 kbps
19999 kbps
MAX Rate
98920 kbps
30276 kbps
POWER
12.4 dbm
-9.6 dbm
INP
0.0 symbols
1.0 symbols
INP-SHINE
-
-
INP-REIN
-
-
CRC
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

So, having posted this issue on Friday, I received a call from Openreach on Saturday saying they'd fixed the issue.  What an incredible turn around time!  The data rate and max rate stats look much healthier now (see below).

I'm glad to hear that!

However, I am still getting 30Mbps from speed tests.  I'm hoping this will just be related to a profile or the DLM.  I'd be grateful if someone could double check that.

It looks like the profile on our side is restricting your throughput.

It generally doesn't do that anymore, but due to the way some circuits including yours route across our network it does.

Fancy re-testing for us after a reboot of your router? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gc8839
Grafter

Fancy re-testing for us after a reboot of your router? Smiley

Of course!  I've restarted and speeds are a lot healthier now (back to averaging around 70mbps), so I consider this fixed now. Many thanks to all involved, and I'd like to say that experiences like this are why I stay with (and recommend) Plusnet.

On the subject though, is there anything further we can do to get the speed up to max?  I appreciate that's a good speed for FTTC, but I couldn't help notice the router reports the connection is capable of >90,000kbps and is actually connecting at 79,999kbps.  Given this is about 78mbps, and the service is sold as up to 76mbps is there any reason why I'm not actually achieving these speeds?