cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to new place that has a fibre socket already - Still need engineer?

OzzieT

Moving to new place that has a fibre socket already - Still need engineer?

Hi all,
Just wondering as I move into my new place on saturday that already has a fibre socket set up, I also have a vdsl modem/router and have ordered Plusnet fibre, BUT they still want an engineer out to set things up? Can I just plug it in and go rather than wait the 2 weeks till another engineer needs to come out?

Thanks for any help!
17 REPLIES 17
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Moving to new place that has a fibre socket already - Still need engineer?

PN don't offer the self install option yet, so yes you will need one out
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need an appointment booked but it's highly likely he won't actually turn up.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
OzzieT

I was going to say, he'll have one hell of an easy visit if he did turn up! Grin
Can't it be treated as a migration and just simply 'turn it on' just in case, don't really know how it works but surely as the house has had a fibre connection before it'd more of a PN side of things rather than an engineer installing the plate?
Just seems strange.
jtk
Dabbler

Just because there is a line, doesn't mean it is working!
They will run some tests on the line and let you know what to expect speed wise. Which will probably be different from what your estimate was.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I'm switching to Plus net Fibre from BT infinity.
I'm not needing an engineers visit to the home - only to the cab.
I'm not planning to use the router provided - but my hub 5 has the vdsl in built.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You're not in the same position as the OP - You are migrating your service between providers on a live line.
The OP is moving to a new house and is either taking over or restarting an existing line.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi OzzieT,
Gus is right, and for the correct reason.
I can see that your phone line has been reactivated so I'll get someone in our provisions to place the order for you now.
Matty

EDIT: As your line was only just activated today, fibre still isn't reflecting as available. We'll look towards placing your order tomorrow. Apologies for the misinformation.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: NorthEasterner
I'm not needing an engineers visit to the home - only to the cab.
If you are only migrating from one BTW based FTTC provider to another then NO engineer visit to Cab or your home is required only those who migrate to or away from the likes of tt or sky  may require action from a BT engineer  I recently enquired about incoming FTTC migrations  with another ISP and was told that they do not charge the  normal activation fee for fttc migrations as the service has already been installed  ie filtered face plate and OR modem , IMO all isp's should not charge activation fees for incoming fttc migrations as there is no or a very small charge made to them by BTOR £11.?? currently i think
petecov44
Grafter

When you leave a provider you are asked to leave the BTO Modem behind. I have done that before
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

surely you mean leave the property, not leave provider.
however, who really is going to do that. most will (wrongly) see the OR modem as their property.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I have 2 OR modems (1 from old house + 1 from the current house)
No one told me to leave behind, it wouldn't benefit the new owner as they'll have to place a new order and an engineer visit to fit in equipment.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
deathtrap
Grafter

@NorthEasterner, not necessarily, if the line is still active and the new occupier's have a suitable modem be it an OR one or a aio solution (router/ vdsl2 modem) that are available Assuming they too want a vdsl2 (FTTC) service,  no engineer needed,  even though some isp's will charge a set up/activation fee, which can range in price from £30 upto around the £90.00 mark So in some cases a visit by an open-reach bod would help justify the charges, at least then you are actually getting something for you hard earned
petecov44
Grafter

Sorry yes I meant when you leave the property.
The BTO Modem is standard gear and so should be left behind. it's up to the new occupier to choose their ISP and as we know that's another box again
The engineer might only go to the NGA as the bto modem and faceplate will already be there.
OzzieT

Quote from: deathtrap
@NorthEasterner, not necessarily, if the line is still active and the new occupier's have a suitable modem be it an OR one or a aio solution (router/ vdsl2 modem) that are available Assuming they too want a vdsl2 (FTTC) service,  no engineer needed,  even though some isp's will charge a set up/activation fee, which can range in price from £30 upto around the £90.00 mark So in some cases a visit by an open-reach bod would help justify the charges, at least then you are actually getting something for you hard earned

Yeah that's what I thought, I have the faceplate and a compatible modem, would save them a bit of money sending an engineer out I thought, oh well.
Couldn't PN just at least try turning it on before the engineer date, just in case?  Roll_eyes Tongue
Must learn to be patient I guess in this day and age of getting everything in an instant! Grin