cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to fibre?

j66cox

Moving to fibre?

Hi all
Thinking of moving to fibre but would like to see pictures of equipment currently used.
Master socket in porch (30 year old socket) with power next to it so no issue sitting the Open Reach ? modem here.  Assume the faceplate will get changed?
Can I therefore run a shielded extension of about 8m (RJ45 ends) under the floor from the modem to where I would like the router sited (power here)?  Smart TV, Apple TV and Humax Freesat can all then be plugged in directly.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Moving to fibre?

You will definitely get a new master socket & the engineer will also site the modem where you require it.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You will get a new face plate. When ordering, you'll be asked if you want an extension cable, say yes. Once the engineer gets there, if you decide you don't want it it's fine, but if you do, the engineer will explain how he'll wire it up for you so you can decide which is the best option for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
starM26

plusnettony,
I rang up to change my standard BB to Fibre.  Setup for engineer to arrive on 13/02. 
I did ask about extension.  The adviser said they no longer do extensions.  So the router has to be by the main socket,  Your reply only been afew days ago so obviously the adviser provided me with incorrect information?
Also the main socket is currently in Attic which was installed number of years ago.  During the installation of Fibre, can they change the master socket to another location?
Thanks
MS
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Yes you were given incorrect info the data extension kit is still part of the order if you want it, I'm sure someone in the CRT will have a word with the agent and get a data extension kit sent with the order if you still want one.
starM26

Thanks for replying back.  I rang plusnet today.  Unfortunately then cannot add data extension to order now because "order is in progress".  They did to but data extension cable from PC World or Mapline - email the receipt and they will refund upto £10.   
I have looked through PC World website cannot find it.  Can anyone provide a link for the correct one?  He did say engineer holds 20m extension and its callled CAT 5.
Thanks
MS