cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Plusnet from BT fibre Question re;engineer visit

malcolmfl
Dabbler

Moving to Plusnet from BT fibre Question re;engineer visit

As I currently have fibre through BT will an engineer visit be needed or is it just a case of swapping the router over?
10 REPLIES 10
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Moving to Plusnet from BT fibre Question re;engineer visit

As you currently have fibre, assuming you migrated to us, you'll not need an engineer out.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
malcolmfl
Dabbler

Thank you, That's what I thought, I'm just waiting for my MAC from BT it's been 3 days now.
dick:quote
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You should get it within five. Then let us know when you have it and we'll process from our end for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
malcolmfl
Dabbler

Thank you, once you get it roughly how long before the service is transferred?
I know it's 2-3 weeks after that for the phone.
Sorry about the quote I will read ALL the forum rules.
jmcgough
Grafter

in light of the opening post, if one has fibre installed why is there an activation fee for broadband only?
sjptd
Grafter

or is it just a case of swapping the router over?
You don't even have to do that if you don't want to.  You can just put your Plusnet credentials into your HomeHub.
I chose to do that (HH3) because it saved reconfiguring WiFi things.  Some more recent HomeHubs also have better wireless than the Plusnet routers.
Lots of details and comments in various threads here and on Thinkbroadband.
malcolmfl
Dabbler

Thanks, That is an option I can look at.
davie150

I have just moved from talk talk and already had fibre optic internet.
I got message saying not to connect router and that an engineer would be in touch to arrange set up.
I then got another message saying that engineer would be at my house the next day, but by then I had already swapped over the router and my plusnet was already up and running ( slow for the first 15 minutes )
Engineer never arrived the next day anyways, luckily I knew what to do, but someone like say, my wife, who does not have a scooby about PC`s internet etc, would have been sitting waiting, without internet.
malcolmfl
Dabbler

Finally my MAC arrived this morning exactly 5 days to the minute, it's been passed on to Plusnet so now the countdown begins, I'm hoping it won't take 5 working days as no engineer visit is required.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: jmcgough
if one has fibre installed why is there an activation fee for broadband only?
The fee in part because the isp can't make the extra profit from calls and line rental on bb only, and BT openreach/wholesale  charge the ISP used to be around £50 for FTTC migrations but since November 2014 it is £11.00  same as ADSL  But why Plusnet insist on still charging £50 I'm at a loss, as they also insist on a longer than normal min term of 18mths ,  again when  the min term commitment  for isp's on said fttc migrations is now only 1mth used to be 12mths min term, (only applies to FTTC migrations that have had FTTC service for 12mths prior to migration,) Better ask/blame ofcom  for not also making isp's pass these changes on, as currently they don't have to do so