Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Plusnet Fibre from TalkTalk Fibre

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Moving to Plusnet Fibre from TalkTalk Fibre

Hi all,
We were with Plusnet some time ago and we are now thinking of returning after a poor experience with TalkTalk.
We have TalkTalk Fibre at the moment, which provides up to 80Mb down and up to 20Mb up. We get speeds of 50Mb down and 11Mb up.
Plusnet will only let me order the up to 40Mb service which only provides a 2Mb upload. I need the 11Mb upload as I do a lot of online backups so the extra speed is vital. 40/10 would be fine but Plusnet don't offer this it looks like. Is there any way we could be provided with this?
The "Super Router" we have from TalkTalk has an integrated modem so we do not have the Openreach modem. I understand Plusnet doesn't provide a VDSL modem router so how would we go about getting an Openreach modem?
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Moving to Plusnet Fibre from TalkTalk Fibre

There's no real reason (other than it's not an option on the standard 'system') why Plusnet shouldn't be able to provide you with 80/20, especially as you currently get 50/11 so any 'estimates' (I assume these show around or below 40 down) should be ignored in favour of existing reality (you'd get exactly the same sync speed to the cabinet with Plusnet as with TT.
I believe Plusnet can post out OR Modems in cases like this.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi AlecR and welcome back!
Your Community login is linking me only to your old account which has no data for me to find the new one.
Can you PM me the current username and I'll certainly look into this for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Hi _Adam_Walker_,
We haven't actually joined yet we were only considering it.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

we were only considering it.

My advice to you is stay where you are. Sadly PNs customer service has declined rapidly over the past 2 years, due probably to an over ambitious expansion without the necessary support of sufficient well trained staff.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
Sadly PNs customer service has declined rapidly over the past 2 years...

By declined, what do you mean - could you elaborate?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: w23
There's no real reason (other than it's not an option on the standard 'system') why Plusnet shouldn't be able to provide you with 80/20, especially as you currently get 50/11 so any 'estimates' (I assume these show around or below 40 down) should be ignored in favour of existing reality (you'd get exactly the same sync speed to the cabinet with Plusnet as with TT.
I believe Plusnet can post out OR Modems in cases like this.

The Plusnet system only uses the lowest figure in the estimate and nothing else so even if the top end was over 40Mb to plusnet it wouldn't matter you would still only be Offered the 40Mb package they wont ignore the lowest estimate figure or use the one in the top of the range.
I had first hand experience of it when my contract was due to expire and was contacted to make a new deal, which i made, however the Agent downgraded me from 80/20 to the 40/2 because the lowest estimate figure on the system that they go by is only 32Mb the highest is 44Mb the Agent didn't even bother to check that i had been on 80/20 since being at plusnet for 18 months and that at the time getting 55Mb
even when i went on live chat to get it put back the agent refused stating that the 32Mb listed was correct and was impossible for me to have been on the 80Mb package and getting more than that, it wasn't until i showed him my Btw IP profile at 55Mb ( thank god the 40Mb is a cap) that he arranged for me to be put back.  As i have said in other posts more and more people will fall foul of the system plusnet use it needs changing, state the lowest in the Estimate by all means but don't just use that and nothing else it's a range for a reason.