cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Fibre - self install?

stevegow
Dabbler

Moving to Fibre - self install?

I did an online upgrade to fibre on the 14 Jan and had to choose an engineer appointment.
Text message to say I would be getting a hub one.
I see others commenting that engineer appointment is no longer required and with hub one can do self install
is this correct?
Thanks

Steve
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Moving to Fibre - self install?

Hi stevegow,
We're not yet handing all fibre orders as self install.
We can change your order however there's a chance this may delay the install to a date following the one already set. In case you were wondering this is as we'll need to cancel the existing order and manually raise a new one.
If that's not an issue for you and would like me to go ahead just let me know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Adam, this issue seems to get more and more confused, with other PN staff posting slightly different responses.
My questions are:
1) why would PN now handle any fibre upgrades as managed installs when it presumably costs them more, given the need for a BTOR home visit?
2) what dictates whether a fibre upgrade order is currently assigned a managed install as against self-install?
stevegow
Dabbler

Hi Adam
Please rebook as a self install
I'm more than capable of plugging in a router.  Smiley
Thanks
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

But I was happy to have a "managed" install I got a shiny new mark 3 socket and some problematic star wiring disconnected and a proper extension for the upstairs office connected  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nadger
Rising Star

I was also happy that OR engineer visited property albeit it was booked as self install.
Could have got Mk3 plate for free had I not already purchased and installed one.
It's still nice to have all the checks done  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@stevegow
Please rebook as a self install

No problem, I've picked that up and will keep you updated via ticket 118403548
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: NorthPole
Adam, this issue seems to get more and more confused, with other PN staff posting slightly different responses.
My questions are:
1) why would PN now handle any fibre upgrades as managed installs when it presumably costs them more, given the need for a BTOR home visit?
2) what dictates whether a fibre upgrade order is currently assigned a managed install as against self-install?

To answer your questions:
We are working on getting all FTTC orders as self install.
In other threads I've advised this should have already been implemented and at the time I believed that to be correct as we had been advised it would be rolled out as of 15/12/15, however I seem to have missed a memo advising this had been delayed and we're now expecting all FTTC orders placed after 27/01/16 to be self install.
Apologies for any confusion around this.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
grahamt
Rising Star

Will it be possible for customers to request a managed install?
I note the comments above about getting rid of star wiring. We have star wiring in our house, but the managed install of FTTC was able to bypass this for our internet connection.
Some customers would benefit from a managed install, which should involve checking connections, faceplate, etc. and if necessary installing extension wiring.