Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving new socket to my computer room

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Moving new socket to my computer room

Hi PN Staff

How much does openreach engineer to charged me to moved master socket from downstair hallway to upstair my computer room with keeping my same telephone number but I don't want OR put extension because it will affect VDSL2 connection speed drop. Or do u think best way to place a new order for new fibre and phone socket upstair with different telephone number on it own so I can get discount off with fixed price for 18 months plus referral scheme to my own account to get £1.25 off but will be a one off of £49.99 for new phone socket installing.

Does two sockets of both fibre might affect VDSL2 speed to drop or no affect?

Just saw this thread about having both FTTC in the same address : http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4597936-re-second-fttc.html

6 REPLIES 6
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Moving new socket to my computer room

A single extension socket for VDSL2 won't lower the speed any more than by however many metres it makes the line longer. It's no different than using a longer lead to plug in the modem. Using good quality twisted pair cable, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming moving the master socket would also make the line a similar small amount longer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two VDSL lines (Plusnet) coming down the same multi paired cable from the exchange, each of which terminates in its own Master Socket 5C that sit side by side on the wall where they enter the building from under ground.

Each VDSL is then taken from the 5C along a 10m RJ11 to the modems in the rack and I’ve not had any real issues with this configuration that I’ve been running since 27th Oct 15. I have been running dual lines for some time but the date used here was the day after I bought the 2 * 10m RJ11s.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, it's a charge of £160 to have a master socket moved within your property. 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just "Google" BT engineers in your local area, it shouldn't cost more than £50.00. Mine cost £40.00 only 12 months ago.

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

move it yourself mate dont be fooled by people saying u cant move the socket i know people who have done this whats the big deal its 2 wires that go into the socket no biggy there are no records anywhere to say where the bt master socket should be its not illegal to do bt prices are such a ripoff and rediculous drives me nuts all these companies charging so much for simple jobs mental and ripoff britain as always

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

160 quid for a 10 minute job bloody drives me nuts all these stupid prices